Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun News Feature Report on CETME!

Old 01-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Default Shotgun News Feature Report on CETME!

Did anyone happen to read this report from (I believe) their Jan 6th edition? I love these rifles. The reviewer got tight one inch groups with his which I think is outstanding for a rifle that can be purchased for $300 including shipping!

As they determined, for the money the CETME is hard to beat.

“He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun News Feature Report on CETME!

About 1 year ago, I saw a report and pictures of a CETME rifle in pieces. It blew up like a hand grenade, after only a couple hundered rounds. If I am not mistaken, the ammo was military grade stuff (147gr FMJ), from a major ammo manufacture, and was ruled out a the cause. The barrel had blown just forward of the reciever, the recievers were wrecked, and bolt was ruined. Does anyone else remember this incident?

CETME are a great value, but I am leary of them. Great value and cheap junk are 2 different things and I have not made up my mind as too which the CETME's are yet.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:29 AM

Earlier attempts to bring CETME's into the US were riddled with various problems. The newer ones made available by Century Arms though have had only minor issues relating to the fact that they are, except for BATF mandated parts changes, all original parts. As the Modelo C (base of the version currently available) were made in 1965 or later you have to expect some wear but most, including my own, are in very good shape.

Those earlier quality control problems have apparently been corrected. I have owned mine for several months now and have put around 4 or 500 rounds through it. Any problems have been related to magazine issues as I had a mix of original CETME mags as well as H&K G3 mags. The mags, like most service rifles that are stored away, tend to be crudded up a bit with cosmoline, dust, etc and have to be cleaned up pretty well. You can however purchase new mags but compared to $3 or $4 for the older ones most of us are more than happy to go that route. Most of the older ones are in pretty good shape after being cleaned up.

The accuracy of the CETME's and the comfort level that you experience when firing them is remarkable. With the action taking most of the recoil and the muzzle brake/compensator controling the jump you are able to stay right on target with rapid semi-auto fire. Firing that rifle at the range is the most fun I've had shooting in a very long time.

“He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2003, 10:15 AM

I read the article.. still have the issue... it has a picture of one of his 100yd groups... 5 shots, 1", open sights. Looks like a good rifle...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 01-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I went and looke dup the story about the blown up rifle. It was not, I say again, it was not a CETME rifle, it was a SA-58 rifle in 7.62 Nato. It was only slightly used, maybe a couple hundred rounds, and bought in and along with a firearm collection. The buyer and shooter were one and the same. Before the SA-58 was shot, it was cleaned and inspected thoroughly. At the range, the magazine was loaded with military surplus ammunition from a NATO country and NATO proof marked. The very first round went BOOOOMMMM instead of BANG. The barrel repurted, the receivers warped, the bolt ruined, and various pieces scatterd over 20'.

Sorry for the mix up, but I wanted to correct it.

The CETME was a predocessor of the H&K G3 and 91, and based on that design. They were made in Spain if I am not mistaken (again). The C model is the most common and there was also the B model. Many accessories for the 91 and G3 will fit the CETME rifle.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:22 PM

...thanks for the correction... it's good to know it wasn't the cetme.... I would like to have one ... I wonder about the durability of them..is it about like any other battle rifle? I don't recall the article discussing durability...guess I'm a little leery, after buying a .45 auto made in Spain... the steel in the slide was apparently a little soft, and the bushing started peening it away... almost didn't get it disassembled because of displaced metal...

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 01-28-2003, 08:15 AM

hornetguy-That wasn't an Astra was it? I picked up an Astra A-100 .45 and have not had any problems whatsoever. In fact I find it VERY comfortable to shoot. That's probably because it is based on the Sig P220 design. As a matter of fact I believe the Astra's are regularly used for law enforcement and military service in Spain.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the CETME rifle chambered for 7.62 CETME or 7.62 NATO?
I've seen alot of spanish bolt action rifles that are meant for 7.62 CETME that the importer stamped .308 win on the receiver- which is misleading and portentially dangerous. The CETME 7.62NATO and .308 win cartridges are all pretty similar in dimensions, but the specs for pressures and chamber dimensions are slightly different with the 7.62CETME using a lighter bullet and being a lower pressure round than the others. I've heard of Spanish FR-7 bolt action rifles coming apart from shooting hotter ammo in them than they were intended for.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 AM

The Model A I believe was chambered for 7.62 CETME but the Model C (and possibly the Model B although I'm not certain of that one) is designed for the 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester. They love that South African Surplus ammo which is great because I love the price of it! You can certainly use premium .308 Winchester ammo just as the Shotgun News reviewers did if you prefer.

I have never heard of a CETME coming apart. Again though, due to the fact that they are except for the BATF mandated parts originals made in the mid 60's you have to expect parts to wear as with any other rifle. My own, which is in great shape, had the recoils spring retainer go. A quick and very inexpensive fix by my own hand and it is functioning