Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Turkey Gun

Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey Gun

I started out with an 870 express. Anyone familiar with these guns knows that you can use 2.75 or 3" shells in them. I'm thinking about setting it up for as a turkey gun.

I've got an attachment for a lazer scope for it with I have previously used for deer. I've got an extra full choke for my 28" barrel. I've even put a camoflage stock on it. I've got4 other 12 gauges 1 O/U which I use for upand game, 1 single shot with I use for squirrels and rabbits, a coach gun which I use as a cross between the previous 2 and CAS, and then an older 1100 which I used for upland and waterfowl but it will only chamber 2.75" shells. I've always just used my 870 as a knock around gun.

Should I switch it to a turkey only gun? or no? I've also looked at the NEF in 10 gauge and afew others at gander mountain. Turkey season isn't til november so I just want to know what you all think or any models that would be suggested?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Turkey Gun

I have a Mossberg 835 as a hunt everything gun. I have a slug barrel for it for deer and i also shoot 3.5in Buckshot out of the regular barrel. It works well. You dont need a scope or red dot for turkeys. That will just aggervate you when your in the wood with the biggest tom you have ever seena nd the battery goes dead on you and you cant shoot. Get some good Tru Glo sights on it and you can use it for turkeys and still as a knock around gun. It will take the abuse and keep killin birds.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

IndyHunter83,
Are you in Indiana? I'm about an hour south of Indianapolis. I'll try to help you out if I can, give me an e-mail and we can discuss options.
[email protected]
Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is better to have one or two guns that can do a variaty of task. I have a mossberg 500 that for the longest time I couldn't get the hang of then after boxes of shells I "became one with the gun" and it is like an extention of my arm now. My friends hate bird hunting with me now.

Getting familiar withyour gun is very important IMO. One gun you are familiar with isbetter then 10 disigned for different task, not to mention cheaper.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey indyhunter83 and rugermike i am in Sullivan south Terre haute 100 miles south of Indy where you at mike

if you have a bird game a rabbit and squirrel i would change it for turkey but make sure you have a deer gun

for example i am getting a Mossberg 500 for Xmas my parents do not have the money to get me the 500 in a smooth bore and a rifled barrel so since gun season will be over i told them to get the smooth bore

and i would buy the rifled barrel before next season it was either a smooth bore or rifled so i went with the smooth bore to hunt rabbit squirrel and bird

when i get the rifled barrel i will properly get a new gun because i do not like changing barrels and it is not much more then the barrel t just buy the gun

if you have a deer gun switch it for turkey if i was going to buy a gun for turkey but did not have a dedicated deer gun i would switch the used gun to turkey and buy a new gun
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just depends on how serious a turkey hunter you are. I have a dedicated turkey gun. Mossberg 835 Grand Slam. Pure Gold choke tube, Nikon scope, the works. Not really an overwhelmingly expensive rig...but I've shot a lot of turkeys with it in the last five years.

Oh, but by the way... as great as my gun shoots, and its the third tightest shooting 12ga I've ever personally seen, no 12 gauge as a turkey gun will really be able to hold a candle to a 10 gauge. I've seen one 12 that is about as good as most 10s.. but thats as far as it goes.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

you mentiond the NEF 10 Guage i dont have the 10 i have the 12 it kicks like a mule, but i like it, i havnt figured out the right load just yet, but still for 160 in camo, that is a good deal, the 10 i think is alittle more, but my uncle has the 10 and its a turkey killing machine he shot a big double beard this past season at 45 yards, so i would say it shoots good.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: millerhunter13

you mentiond the NEF 10 Guage i dont have the 10 i have the 12 it kicks like a mule, but i like it, i havnt figured out the right load just yet, but still for 160 in camo, that is a good deal, the 10 i think is alittle more, but my uncle has the 10 and its a turkey killing machine he shot a big double beard this past season at 45 yards, so i would say it shoots good.

Is this the same uncle that has the Win 1400?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IndyHunter83

I started out with an 870 express. Anyone familiar with these guns knows that you can use 2.75 or 3" shells in them. I'm thinking about setting it up for as a turkey gun.

It will say on the barrel if it will shoot 3" shells... If it doesent then dont shoot
Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Bigtime6656,

Yes I'm in southern Indiana. If you would like help in getting any firearms or barrels please feel free to e-mail at [email protected] be happy to try to help.

Rugermike

[email protected]