Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber vs. Springfield 1911's (or others)?

Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Spike

Default Kimber vs. Springfield 1911's (or others)?

I'm considering buying a 1911. My buddy, who is far more familiar with handguns than I am, is telling me to stay away from Kimber citing that they are not that great as far as quality goes vs. a Springfield. The only thing I know about Kimber is the higher price and their claims of the different groups that use their handguns versus any other manufacturer.

If you had to chose between the 2, which would you choose, or would you go with another brand?

I'm looking for this to be a target gun (probably with a .22LR conversion as well), home defender, and a sidearm when big game hunting out west. My requirements are that it be made in the USA, be .45 ACP, stainless, steel, and around $1000 (can go a little higher, but no $2000 custom guns).

This is what I've initially considered; Springfield 1911 Loaded Full Size:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=24

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kimber vs. Springfield 1911's (or others)?

Well, I can't speak for Springfield, but I have a Kimber Warrior and couldn't be happier. It eats everything that I throw at it whether it be ball ammo, hollow point ammo or popcorn handloads. I have heard that Kimber had some problems with some parts breaking a few years ago, and I've also heard that this issue has been fixed. I'm sure that either of the pistols that you've mentioned will be a very good pistol for you and will give you many years of use if taken care of. Good luck with yourdecision. Simp
Old 11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only differences that I've perceived is that Kimber's fit and finish is a little better than Springfield's, but its my understanding that Kimber uses a lot more MIM parts while more parts on the Springfields are hand-fitted. MIM parts are about as good as milled parts if done right, if done wrong, they tend to break easily, Kimber's MIM parts fall into the former category. Springfields do use MIM parts as well.

The passive safeties on the two pistols differ greatly as well. The Springfield uses a lightweight titanium firing pin to prevent it from firing if dropped, the Kimber uses a Schwartz safety similar to that used in Colt Series-80 pistols. The Schwartz safety adds unnessary mechanical complexity to the pistol, there have been some issues with failures caused by the safety, though they are few and far between. Interestingly enough, Kimber left the Schwartz safety out of their Desert Warrior pistol, which might be one of the best 1911s that they make.

This is what I've initially considered; Springfield 1911 Loaded Full Size:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=24
I've had one of these for about 4 years now, only complaint that I have is that the slide serrations are cut too sharp- they eat up your fingers and eat up holsters, but from the pictures on their website, it looks like they might have toned them down a bit. Other than that its been an absolutely flawless and accurate shooter for thousands of rounds- I've shot everything from jacketed hollowpoints to cast lead loads through it with no problems.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really LOVE both of my para ordnance .45s,check em out even tho they're made in canada.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

There are alot of 1911's on the market to chose from. There is nothing wrong with Kimber pistols. I'm not going to shill on gun over another but I think you should find someone that knows what they are talking about.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

There are alot of 1911's on the market to chose from.
That's part of my problem; trying to sort out what I want. Seems that everyone and their brother makes a version of the 1911 with varying degrees of fit'n'finish or other smallfeatures. It's one thing to have to choose between a "Ford vs. Chevy", but trying to choose between10+ manufacturers is maddening.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to check out the new Smith and Wessons also. They seem to be getting some pretty good reviews. I would say the Kimbers, Springfield and Smiths are on the same level, just personal differences. But I don't own any of them so I would listen to the people who have them. I prefer older Colt 70 series, if you could find one of those at a good price and upgrade the sights and maybe a match grade barrel I think you would have just as good a gun for around the same money.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget about the Sigs either! They make a dang good 1911 style pistol. The only reason I went with the Kimber Warrior instead of the Sig GSP was because my shop didn't have the GSP in a dark finish.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM

I have the wonderful option of a gun shop that has a firing range close at hand and for a few bucks you get to shoot before you buy. I have shot both the Kimber TLE II and the springfield-- personally I like the kimber better--BUT-- and I repeat -- BUT -- it will definately be a personal choice of which feels better in your hands. Both are great guns and worth the price.

just my tcw.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Spike

I would like to shoot before I buy but I'm not sure if that will be possible.

I also found Les Baer 1911s, albeit at a premium price. So here is a question: is an experienced shooter but novice handgunner going to be able to tell the difference between a $1000 Springfield, a $1400 Kimber and a $1600 Les Baer?

Quick Reply: Kimber vs. Springfield 1911's (or others)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.