Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mossberg 500 problems?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 500 problems?

I am a bow hunter who started gun hunting a couple of years ago but am still new to alot of it. I bought a 12 gauge mossberg 500 for myself and 20 gauge for my niece from Wal-Mart in 2006. We have put the smallest rings available (in terms of getting the scope as close to the reciever as possible)on both guns and taken it to the local gunsmith who shims them and givesthem back to me every time and saysthey are fixed but at 50 yardsI am still a 12 inches low on both guns. If anybody has any kind of ideas or a solution to our problem I would greatly appreciate any help.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Mossberg 500 problems?

The only advice I have is take the scope off the reciever and get a cantilever mount barrel. Mounting a scope to the reciever of a gun with a removable barrel is never the most accurate way of going about things.

That being said something sounds fishy. I would go back to the gun shop and ask them about it. If it was bore sighted it should be fairly close from the get go. And the really confusing part is it is the same amount with both guns? Maybe you need a new gunsmith?

How far off is it at 25 yards?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Spike

i am out of adjustment on both guns. Each time i went back to the gunsmith it got better but there is still something very wrong. I have talked to my friends who have been gun hunting for years and they can't seem to explain it. We have tried alot of things nothing seems to work. I called mossberg and they said to send it to them in on my own dime and they would replace them or fix them and send it back to me. Some of my friends have said that it appears to be drilled and tapped to far back on the reciever were it curves back to the butt of the gun. I hope the description is accurate as far as parts of the gun.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM

I have a few questions and we will see if i can try to figure out what is wrong.
Do you have rifled slug barrels on the guns?
Is it drilled and tapped on top of the reciever where there are the little grooves running the length of the gun only?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Spike

yes to both questions.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:52 PM

The odds of both those guns having the same thing wrong with them and one being a 12 and the other a 20 is HIGHLY unlikely. And if this was the case a gunsmith should have noticed it immediately and either fixed it or not done the work and let you know about the problem.

Without actually seeing the weapons I doubt there is much any of us can do to help you. I really suggest trying to have someone else look at them. Tell them exactly what you had done and what is happening.

I can think of something else though. If you maxed out your scope adjustments there is a possibility you could have ruined your scope. I have a buddy that did that before.

Having your rear mount lower than the front will cause it to shoot low though, I just can't see both guns having the same problem.

Paul
Old 11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

wounded...shouldve contacted mossberg first...in 2006..your gunny isnt too sharp or he would have told you same instead of taking your money