Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sabot slug or buckshot

Old 11-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: sabot slug or buckshot

Well...I'm going to play devil's advocate...I've killed at least 25 deer with buckshot and about the same with slugs...The problem with buckshot is the same as a guy bore sighting his rifle and going hunting...You have to pattern your gun with different chokes and different brands of buckshot...You should also keep your shots within 40 yards with buckshot...

I have a Browning B-80 that will put 5-6 00 buck into a 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper turned sideways at 40 yards...That's about the size of the heart/lung area of a deer...What I found is I have to use the Improved Cylinder choke and it prefers Winchester Supreme 3 inch 00 Buck...Most guys simply do not know their guns as well as they should...

I have a suggestion...Your slug gun, is it rifled??? If not, use both...Back in the mid-70s, I bought a Remington 1100 slug shotgun...I would load a slug first and 2 3/4 #1 Buck (also Winchester) next...While still hunting in the mornings, I had a slug in case the deer was standing still, when the dog hunters dropped their hounds off by our farms I could shoot the slug and follow up with buckshot on the running deer....I never remember loosing a deer this way and never remember having to hit them with more than 2 rounds of buckshot....
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

slug em and show us pix
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM

wait in a rifled barrle i can shoot buck shot wont that hurt my rifleing?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, don't shoot buckshot in a rifled barrel...I doubt if it will hurt the rifling as the barrel is made of steel and the buckshot is lead, usually plated with copper...
Steel is harder than lead or copper...The rifling will hurt the pattern with buckshot, that's the reason not to shoot in a rifled barrel...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

I've used buckshot on deer in states where it was legal, in thick stuff like you were talking about, and had I not had a slug chambered right afterwards I would have lost the deer. That was from a frontal chest shot at 15 yards. I'd have to say you can't go wrong if you use your 20 gauge slug gun. It has the stuff to take down both of those animals and they are a great brush gun. That I use anyways.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

ok well i am gonna use the slugs thanks for all the advice and input.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM

Good choice. Wait for a clear shot and don't depend on the multiple pellets in the buckshot to be more reliable to get through the brush. Hogs are extremely tough and I read somewhere that the 20 ga saboted slugs actually out perform 45-70 in equal bullet weights with less recoil.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:12 AM

wow i guess i learned something new today and i havent even gone to school yet.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: idunno

Good choice. Wait for a clear shot and don't depend on the multiple pellets in the buckshot to be more reliable to get through the brush. Hogs are extremely tough and I read somewhere that the 20 ga saboted slugs actually out perform 45-70 in equal bullet weights with less recoil.
For standard loads and cowboy loads a slug gun with the modern high power sabot loads can equal and possibly out perform a 45-70 on paper. However there are some newer high powered factory loads for the 45-70 and many hand load for it with loads that a slug gun can't come close to. I have had this argument before and lost. I like my crow with A-1 by the way.

But the average 45-70 load you see on the shelf you can get pretty close to it with a modern slug load, if your gun shoots them well. At least on paper, I can't say anything about real world performance since I don't own one and can't use a centerfire in my state anyway. As far as less recoil that probably depends on the rifle you are using. Perceived recoil is a pretty subjective thing.

Paul
Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here in OK we do not have the option of using buckshot on hogs or deer or any other game animal:All shot over BB size is illegal. Some of us do use buckshot on coyotes.