Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Barrels -Does Length Matter

Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun Barrels -Does Length Matter

You have to remember, all those F.P.S.(feet per second) claims pertaining to shotgun shellvelocities are all based on a 30" barrel length.
So by going to a very short 21" barrel, your not getting the "advertized velocity claims"!!

It all depends on what your using your shotgun for? For Duck, Geese, and any other "Wing" shooting, you want a longer barrel length for easeof swing like mentioned above, but also a better sight picture with that longer barrel as well. So by using a 28" or 30" barrel length for this type of hunting, itwill also shoot much faster than a shorter tube!!

Yes, a shorter barrel in the turkey woods is easier to maneuver around with, but I really feel that a 24"-26" barrel is a great compromise for speed and maneuverability!!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: popeye

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on shotgun barrel length.
Let's assume that you have two shotgun's, same make, model and gauge.
IMO a shorter 22 or 24 barrel is handier than a longer 26 or 28 inch tube and will pattern just as well....what do you think?
Does barrel length matter in the field to Average Joe hunter.
Barrel length is more important to wingshooters who need more weight forward to aid in swing and follow-through. It is possible to choke a barrel to get just as good patterning from a short tube as a long one. In addition, shot loads don't lose much velocity from chopping back a barrel.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 AM

Actually everything I have read lately says that with the newer loads and powders they reach velocity in barrels as short as 18-19 inches. A long barrel does two things, effect the balance of the gun and lengthens the sight radius. And when using a shotgun on moving targets you really shouldn't be aiming anyway.

Paul
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for all the comments. The question arose from a conversation I was havingaboutwhat makes a good general purpose use shotgun. The type that most of us probably had at one time or another, where you use it for everything from rabbit and squirrel to upland birds to dispatching farmyard varmints.