Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 45-70 1895 which one?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 AM
FA
Fork Horn

Default RE: Marlin 45-70 1895 which one?

Marlin no longer makes a ported barrel but I'm not sure they ever needed one. The recoil isn't bad on the 45-70 but it is a little louder than the 30-30. I agree with Rats, the 45-70 1895G is the way to go.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 AM

I have the 1895 with the 20" barrel and five shot magazine in 45-70. I have yet to hunt with it, which I am going to remedy next week. I have been working up loads for it all summer, and I think I am going to go with a 300gr hornady HP with 55gr of IMR3031, it seems to shoot he best so far. I chose the 45-70 simply because it is a classic cartridge, and it is quite versatile when hand loaded. Which brings me to my point in writing. If your main pupose for this gun is hunting, and you don't hand load, the .450 might be the better choice. Most (not all) factory 45-70 loads are pretty tame, because of all the (lawyers) old guns out there that won't handle full house loads. The .450 is a hunting round and guns chambered for it are purpose built hunting rifles. That being said I still prefer the 45-70 just because it is a cool old round, and I understand it's advatages and limitations. I really think the 45-70 is a handloaders round, unless you are going to buy a lot of ammo from Buffalo Bore or one of the other ammo companies that load full power rounds for it. Just my two cents.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 AM
FA
Fork Horn

Maybe I misunderstand your post, but the 45-70 is made in a "full load". Winchester, Federal, Remington and Hornady make hardcore hunting loads. Garrets makes a 540 gr Hammerhead+P that will nock down an elephant. The 45-70 has taken down everything from grizzlys to elephants. I would say that is a pretty tough full load. This is an age old topic, which round is better, the 45-70 or the .450. Actually either will do the job on any big game.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Maybe it's the area I live in. When I bought my rifle last summer, all I could find locally were the anemic Remington and Winchester loads. I chronographed some Remington 405gr loads at 1300fps. Thats pretty slow, slower than deer slugs. That of course approximates the old black powder loading. I think most of the guys that say there rifles don't have much recoil must be shooting these. I have some hanloads firing a 405gr cast flat nose at about 1800fps, and I guaratee the recoil is not light : )
I just think you can get a lot more out the 45-70 by handloading it. I love the round, and wouldn't even bother with the .450 for my own purposes.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the great help!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not wish to personally attack some of the statements that have been made in this post. But I will say that there are some statements made that could get a person hurt or even killed if they took some of the advice given. 45-70 loads come in different levels for a reason. There are many reasons, but the main reason is weaker steel in the older firearms. Please do not shoot Leverevolution ammo "in any lever action". The Remington and Winchester loads are light for a reason--safety. Please refer to a reloading manual, the manual will discuss which loads are safe in which firearms.

I have been shooting the 45-70 for a lot of years. And it is my favorite cartridge. The cartridge can do anything in the hands of a rifleman. Buy one, buy a good mold, and 10# of RL7 and you can shoot for a long time. Go to the tire store and sweep up some WW, and shoot, shoot, shoot. Tom.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new marlin lever actions are completely safe to shoot ANY factory loaded ammo out of!

There are many reasons, but the main reason is weaker steel in the older firearms. Please do not shoot Leverevolution ammo "in any lever action". The Remington and Winchester loads are light for a reason--safety. Please refer to a reloading manual, the manual will discuss which loads are safe in which firearms.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM

If you have trouble finding a good selection of 45-70 ammo in your area just go on line. There are a bunch of really good rounds made for the new rifles.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:57 PM

I would agree with Head, there are some older lever guns, both Winchester and Marlin, that should not be loaded hot! I hand load and can adjust my load as I please, and my rifle is a brand new piece.
I realise that you can find any ammo you want on line, but I consider that a lot of hassle compared to just walking into a gun store and buying what you need ( am I showing my age yet? : ). Plus, most of the hunting loads for the 45-70 are, in my opinion, a bit pricey.
When I got my rifle last summer, I was a bit shocked at how little ammo, and for that matter, components, were available in my local stores. But I am pretty well set now with bullets, brass and powder that seems to work for me. I also cast my own bullets, that's what I meant about this caliber being really versatile, there are lots of options.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I do not wish to personally attack some of the statements that have been made in this post. But I will say that there are some statements made that could get a person hurt or even killed if they took some of the advice given. 45-70 loads come in different levels for a reason. There are many reasons, but the main reason is weaker steel in the older firearms. Please do not shoot Leverevolution ammo "in any lever action". The Remington and Winchester loads are light for a reason--safety. Please refer to a reloading manual, the manual will discuss which loads are safe in which firearms.

I have been shooting the 45-70 for a lot of years. And it is my favorite cartridge. The cartridge can do anything in the hands of a rifleman. Buy one, buy a good mold, and 10# of RL7 and you can shoot for a long time. Go to the tire store and sweep up some WW, and shoot, shoot, shoot. Tom.

Hi Head0001,
Can you be more specific as to why I shouldn't shoot the Leverevolution ammo out of my lever gun. I have a new (3years)Marlin336 in 30-30 and i'm wondering why it is a safety issue. I have used it last season and now this season so i amfairly concerened. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Marlin 45-70 1895 which one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.