Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sabot or no

Old 11-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sabot or no

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

Are the screw in rifled chokes any good? This would be for my Rem. 870, this is the 1st season they've allowed slugs in my county and I'm trying to find out what's good so I can go out and buy some then take them to the range. Thanks guys!
Nice Browning,HOG!! I miss them!

Every shotgun shoots slugs at least a little differently than the next one! I have seen test results where a screw-in rifled choke tube actually shot groups better than some fully rifled barrels, and vice-versa! Usually a full barrel is better, but not always. It won't hurt to try a rifld choke tube!!

And the actual brand, type, (and even particulary lot number) of a box of slugs can make a big difference too. Once a friend of mine and I, living in VA at the time, were forced to get slug guns because rifles were not permitted in the county we were going to hunt in. I bought an Ithaca Deerslayer and he bought a Remington 870. We bought Remington and Winchester Foster-type slugs, and a bunch of Brennekes. At the range, I discovered my gun would not shoot Win. or Brenneke ammo for crap, but shot 3", 5-shot groups at 100 yards with the Remingtons. My buddy' s gun shot the Brennekes real good, but Rem and Win stuff would NOT shoot in his at all!

You have to test to find what's best IN EACH GUN!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

You have to test to find what's best IN EACH GUN!!
That's a must!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Can you shoot sabots out of a smooth bore? Yes, but as every other person in this thread has told you, you will be wasting money if you do so. All they will do is tumble because that haven't gotten the spin needed to accurize them. Go with rifled slugs