Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Range Report

Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Default RE: Range Report

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

my brother cleans after every shot. he says he notices accuracy problems after 2 shots if he doesnt clean.

DING DING DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I would also definitely have to say you need to be cleaning after every shot. A lot of the powder doesn't burn, plus you get plastic fouling pretty quick from the sabots. I have read in several places where they state that this is a must when shooting groups.

As to the Simmons scope, the Aetec is a pretty decent set of glass. It may be the only decent one they make, but that doesn't really matter much. As to hurting the scope, I would suggest pulling off the top ring of the one that was loose. Look to see if there are any serious scratches or dings. If there is none, I would say it is probably fine. I had a base come loose on a 338 Win Mag once, and it didn't hurt that scope at all. And I fired 7 rounds before noticing it.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know if I were shooting to see if my gun was 1" or 1.5" I'd agree with you. I was shooting roughly 8".

I'm going to mount a different scope and give her another run. Not till two weeks from now though.

Tom
Old 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that if I had to clean after every shot or suffer severe accuracy problems, I'd be replacing that gun or load with something that would actually work like it should. JMO.........
Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I think that if I had to clean after every shot or suffer severe accuracy problems, I'd be replacing that gun or load with something that would actually work like it should. JMO.........

i want to see the magical muzzleloader/loadyou have that you can shoot without cleaning more than 3 times and not have your groups open up from 2" to at least4".

You know if I were shooting to see if my gun was 1" or 1.5" I'd agree with you. I was shooting roughly 8".

I'm going to mount a different scope and give her another run. Not till two weeks from now though.

Tom
good point...a tight fitting sabot is important too
Old 11-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i want to see the magical muzzleloader/load you have that you can shoot without cleaning more than 3 times and not have your groups open up from 2" to at least 4".
Savage 10ML-II with smokeless powder, but it's not exactly magical.

I've shot both Vihtavouri N-110 and Accurate Arms 5744 with excellent results (with 5744 preferred), and I don't swab between shots ever. I've shot as many as 50 shots at a sitting without swabbing, and the accuracy is as good with the last shot as it was the first.

With 41gr AA 5744 and a 250gr XTP with MMP black sabot it'll shoot 1.5" average 100 yard groups all day long.

Mike
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, there's not much magic to it, as far as I'm cocerned. A low-class CVA Wolf with two 50 gr. Pyrodex pills and shooting 245 gr. Powerbelts does it for me. Have you polished out your barrel? Also, in my mind, FAR too many folks try to overpower their bullet and cause extreme fouling and poor grouping. Just my humble experiences. I can usually shoot 5 shots before accuracy takes a swing without cleaning.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

8" is a bit much IMHO of swing to put it on not swabbing between shots. Also given the fact your routine prior was to clean every 5, one would assume you came up with that by trial and error. Given your mention of the other guns accuracy I don't think shooter is to blame here either, unless fatigue may have been a factor. It is possible to have sabot failure by to tight (fouling) or loading when hot and grooving. I have seen some weird results due to sabot related problems in both sub shooting and smokeless shooting ML's.

A friend of mine had a mount come loose on his 300wm recently and it pooched his 4200 elite...so that is certainly a possiblity. It also may be your mount or ring is damaged as a result as well. I would inspect them closely and if they appear GTG try a verified scope to see if the problem goes bye bye.