Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bought new remington .700 BDL

Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Default RE: bought new remington .700 BDL

Yeah, WOW...........................
Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Spike

That model 700 BDL, in .270 caliber,has been my go to gun since the early 90s. It is a tack driver and I use it for basically everything in MT. Mine came with a horrendously adjustedtrigger, so I had that cleaned up (be sure to use a Remington certified gunsmith). This made a night and day difference in the rifle's shootability and only cost $25. Given the tremendous improvement in accuracy this trigger work resulted in, especially under field conditions, thisis now a mandatory adjustment on anygun I buy now.

While that was being done, I also had a Pachmyer recoil pad put on, which required cutting down the stock about 1.5 inches (as the stock length was perfect without the addition of the recoil pad). Didn't really need the pad for recoil (but it is nice for that). The pad also helps protect the butt of the stock under field conditions and assists in a good repeatable "cheek weld" during bench shooting. Not counting the price of the recoil pad (which was around $20), the install cost around $25 or so. It's been a while so I'm not certain.

However, the $70-75 spent on the triggerand recoil pad workwere well worth the cost. This 700 BDL can shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yds that has all the holes touching.Under field conditions, it has performedexceptionally without exception. Often under extreme, late season-frigidconditions as well. Be sure to break down the bolt, clean the factory gunk out and use a dry synthetic lube on the firing mechanism.

Put a good scope onyour 700 BDL (minehas a Leupold 3-9) and this rifle will be up to the task if you are, and will likely be handed down to a youngster when you're getting long in the tooth. LOL.

My .02s

Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Rimfire and Centerfire"?

"Prime"ary (pardon the pun) difference between the two is this: All self-contained cartridges require some kind of "kicker" - called a "primer" - to cause the main powder charge to burn.

Yes, contrary to popular fiction, explosives and powder don't "blow up", they just burn faster than your eye can see.

This primer (I won't bore you with chemistry) requires only a sharp blow, like that which comes from the firing pin, to cause it to ignite, in turn causing the main powder charge to ignite, pressure inside the case and chamber to rise, and the bullet to be "spit" down the barrel since it's the path of least resistance for this chemical combustion process you've just started to relieve itself of this high pressure.

In a "rimfire" cartridge, the primer is located in the rim of the cartridge. In a "centerfire" cartridge, you'll note a little round circle on the head of the cartridge. Currently, the only rimfire cartridges you'll find are the .22 family (short, long, long rifle, magnum) and a couple new .17s (the .17 Mach 2 and .17 Hornady Magnum. Used to be a 5mm Remington Magnum rimfire, as well as (way back) some .44s. Scarce today. On the other hand, EVERY big game cartridge you'll find today falls into the "centerfire" category, as well as handguns. Rimfire ammunition isn't feasible to reload. Centerfire ammunition certainly is feasible to reload (just pop the little primer with the dent in it out the way it went in and then plug a new one in).
Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 AM

thnks for the responces and ive learned soo much!!!