Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How many names?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Default How many names?

I've been stumped by a question on another forum and I should know the answer, but I can't come up with it.
Can someone please help?
How many names has the 280 remington used in it's career?
I think it was first the 7mm\06 then 280 rem, then 7mm express, and then the 280 rem again, but I feel it also had another name which has totally escaped me. thanks Glenn
Old 10-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Default RE: How many names?

Those are the only ones I can think of.I just read a articel the other day on the 280rem that gave all its names.Ill see if I can find it
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are correct with the four names. I think Remington "legitimized" the 7mm/06 when they named it the 280. Sales wrer slumping and it was spin doctored to the 7mm Express. I'm unsure why it went back to just being the 280 again. Hey Eldeguello.........
Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have my Hornady Manual, but if I recall correctly you'd be correct with those names. 7-06 was never an "official" name but was the name used during its wildcat days. Remington domesticated the 'cat as the .280 Rem, but it didn't catch on really well because of the already well established .270 Win. So somebody in Rem's marketing dept decided to rename it to 7mm Express Remington (I guess "Express" doesn't have the same effect as "Magnum"). But he was an idiot and it didn't work because American shooters have been historically wary of "metric" rifle calibers (with the 7mm Rem Mag being a notable exception), and the new name also caused a lot of confusion among the less gun savvy hunters (there are a lot of those out there who care only that the gun goes bang and the deer goes down) who weren't sure that they were the same cartridge. Remington realized their mistake and changed the name back to .280 Remington. It's more popular now, but it never has caught up with the .270 Win despite the greater selection of 7mm bullets. I'm sure the .280 is a great cartridge, but I'd rather like to see them standardize the 6.5-06.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .280 is one of my all time favorite cartridges and can be easily handloaded to exceed .270 performance in a bolt action rifle in good shape. The reason I say exceed 270 is because of the greater availablerange of bullets. Even jack oconner once stated that he actually preferred the .280 OVER his beloved .270. I still have the 1st printing hard cover book. Of course,I prefer a .284 diameter bullet OR my mathews for deer sized game over 6mm,6.5,.270,or .30 caliber-and my bow ain't outclassed on any sized gameas long as I do my job.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 AM
DM

Old 10-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I've been stumped by a question on another forum and I should know the answer, but I can't come up with it.
Can someone please help?
How many names has the 280 remington used in it's career?
I think it was first the 7mm\06 then 280 rem, then 7mm express, and then the 280 rem again, but I feel it also had another name which has totally escaped me. thanks Glenn
I believethe .280 Remington started out as the .280 Remington, and was chambered in the Rem 740-742 autoloaders and, briefely, the old Model 725. As mentioned above, the original loadings were NOT TOO HOT because the autoloaders wouldnot stand the maximum pressuresto which the round could be loaded for use in bolt-actions and single-shot rifles.

The name waschanged to the 7mm Express Remington (not the other way around), then back to .280 Remington. The reason for the change to 7mm Express Rem. may indeed be due to the round having had a poor rep for downrange ballistics, and Remington marketing people thought the name change would give them a chance to improve sales. However, under the new name, people began confusing it with the 7mm Remington Magnum, so Remington re-renamed it back to its' original name!

In actuality, we might have been better off had Remington just introduced ONE 7mm cartridge instead of two. No, the .280 isn't QUITE as powerful as the 7mm Rem. Mag., but it is so close as to preclude the need for both. If one wants a 7mm that doesn't have the power (and destructive effect) of the 7mm Magnum, theycan buy a 7X57mm or a 7mm/'08.

These are the only OFFICIAL REMINGTON-assigned names the round has had, to the best of my knowledge. But there are the 7mm/'06 ( a wildcat that pre-dates the .280 Rem.; just a .30/'06 necked to 7mm with no other change), and the 7X64mm Brenneke round as well, both of which are almost the same. But the .280 Rem. has its' shoulder set slightly farther forward, to prevent it beingchambered ina .270 Win. rifle.....