Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What To Get

Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 PM

Default What To Get

I am looking for a rifle, i want either a 7mm or a 30-06 with a clip. what should i get.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What To Get

The caliber you choose will be of little consequence but the detachable magazine idea is a great one. If u spend any amount of time getting in or out of a truck durring a hunt. I bought a 7mm-08 savage with a detachable magazine for coyote hunting near mountains I wanted to load some 110gr.bullets for the coyotes and have them in one magazine, and have a backup mag. loadedw/some 140 gr or larger for larger animals i didn't intend to call in.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, it really depends on what you want to hunt. 30.06 will give you a very wide variety of ammo to choose from and pretty much every manufacturer of firearms chambers for that caliber. It is kind of like the Chevy of gun calibers, you really cannot go wrong with it. 7mm on the other hand is kind of like a hyper velocity round that IMHO people carry to feel manly or something because they can handle the recoil. If it where me, I think that I would choose the .06 over the 7mm, there isnt anything in North America that the .06 cant handle with a well placed shot.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Recoil is much less in a 708 vs. 3006 not sure what TUK is talking about but the manly statement is false. The 3006 will give you more versatility, but depending on your quarry (less than elk), the 708 would be just fine.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to give us a little more info before we can give you a meaningful recommendation.

What are you primarily planning to use it for? Deer hunting? Elk? Varmints/predators? Target shooting?

If for hunting, what type of terrain are you going to be mainly hunting in? Open plains/fields? Sparse or dense forest? Hills or mountains?

How long have you been shooting in general? How long have you been shooting high-powered centerfire rifles?

How do you tolerate recoil? And be honest with us and yourself. The biggest mistake most shooters/hunters make is letting their ego override their good sense. They go out and buy the biggest, baddest fastest magnum(b) in an ultra-lite rifle that's all the rage in the gun rags when a .308 Winchester is the most they can tolerate and shoot well (and probably all the power they really need). Then they get ticked off and complain when the "rifle" doesn't shoot, when the real cause is their massive (but usually undetected and/or denied) flinch. I can't understate how important this is.

To give you an indication of what I mean by honest self-evaluation, I am a 32 year old former Marine that is 6'4" and apx. 275lbs (yeah, gotta shed a few, I know) that has been shooting since I was 6 years old. I have shot a wide variety of cartridges from .22 Short to .50BMG out of shoulder fired rifles, and found that the most I can tolerate and shoot well is the .30-06 Springfield.

What action do you prefer? Bolt? Semi-auto? Pump? Single-shot? Lever?

How much do you plan to spend?

Give us this info and I can give you a recommendation.

Mike
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: starhunter21

Recoil is much less in a 708 vs. 3006 not sure what TUK is talking about but the manly statement is false. The 3006 will give you more versatility, but depending on your quarry (less than elk), the 708 would be just fine.
He wasnt talking about 708, but rather he said 7mm which I figured meant magnum. Unless maybe I missed something.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 PM

i am willing to spend about $1000. i am hunting bush and open areas. im wanting a accurate semi-auto or a bolt. clip is a must since i will be in and out of a truck all day. recoil is about the 300 win mag but thats the biggest ive shot.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 PM

tuk is rite i am talking about the 7mm mag
Old 10-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: devinbajus

i am willing to spend about $1000. i am hunting bush and open areas. im wanting a accurate semi-auto or a bolt. clip is a must since i will be in and out of a truck all day. recoil is about the 300 win mag but thats the biggest ive shot.
Given that you're open to a semi-auto, I'd suggest a Browning BAR in .30-06, or you might even consider a .270. The BAR's are a bit on the heavy side, but they are a great rifle. They are a touch on the spendy side, but you should be able to find one well under the $1000 budget (as long as you have additional money for the scope, you didn't say).

Mike
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Tuk, my apologies, I have been looking at a 708 vs. a 06 (shooting reduced recoil) for my step son and have 708 on the brain. 7mm definitely kicks harder than an 06. Having borrowed a 7mm for a hunt, shot it a couple of times and gave it right back. It was a Winny featherlight w/ Nikon scope. My friend has two BAR's and swears by them( 06, 300WM). I have a Sako w/ a clip. If I was mostly hunting elk, I would choose the mag. Mostly hunting deer the 06. The 06 will give you a few more factory bullet offerings. As far as the brand of rifle, choose the one that fits you best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.