Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What To Get

Old 10-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What To Get

I think a 7mm Rem Mag has about the same amount of recoil as a 30-06 given all other factors are the same (same weight rifle, similar stock design, shooting 160-165g bullets, etc.) so that should not affect your decision. Also, they are pretty close (.284" vs. .308") so I doubt any animal will notice much difference when hit with either round. The 7 will probably shoot a tad flatter but unless you're shooting past 300 that will matter very little too. So either caliber is a good choice in my opinion.

Savage makes a bolt with a removable mag. So does Remington, Browning (not quite as good as the mag attaches to the floor plate), Tikka and Sako. If I had my choice I'd buy a Sako, followed by a Tikka, then probably the Remington, Browning, or Savage. Probably a few others that have detachable mags but that was a key feature I insisted upon when I bought my Tikka. Some day I'll upgrade to the Sako 85 but I just can't justify the extra $600 when my Tikka shoots MOA out of the box so I'll keep it for a while I guess.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM

I would suggest the 7mm, not much more recoil, and flatter shooting, however if you can tolerate the .300 win mag that would be my suggestion
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Spike

I had a Ruger 7mm mag, it kicked harder than the 30-06, it's accuracy was only so so in that nylon stock, went to a custom laminated wood stock, little improvement, but it did cut some of the recoil. Got rid of it, and got a Browning 338 mag, recoil up there pretty good, but accuracy was great with hand loads. Had surgery on my shoulder, and decided to go to a Browning win. 280. I haven't looked back, it drops elk with my first shot using Nosler 140 gr. partition, lot less recoil than the 7mm mag, with only slightly reduced ballistics, and still great accuracy. The most important thing to keep in mind, is your comfort with the caliber you decide on. I still love the 338, and and before my shoulder surgery, recoil never bothered me at the range, and you never feel the recoil when shooting at game in the field. Shot placement and confidence in yourself and your rifle are the most important factors for hunting.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want something with a "clip", you're pretty much stuck with an M1 Garand.

If you want a semi-auto, take a look at the new Remington. Remington has been making pretty decent magazine fed semi-autos for decades, Model 740, 742, 7400, and the most recent iteration, the Model 750.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some info on recoil to help you decide if that is that much of a factor.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

http://sst.benchrest.com/recoil.html
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM

i say getting a 30-06 is a good choice.. its accurate long range and its reliable..