Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Sako Rifle - Sako or Leupold Scope Mounts

Old 01-13-2003, 11:30 AM

Default New Sako Rifle - Sako or Leupold Scope Mounts

I pick up my Sako 75 30-06 in a few days. I'm going to be putting an existing 3x9 40mm Leupold VX-II scope on it. I need to get busy and pick up the bases and rings. I've been satisfied with my other Leupold mounts, and don't have any experience with the Sako gear. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether to go with the Sako mounts vs the Leupold mounts?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Sako Rifle - Sako or Leupold Scope Mounts

first of all make sure that the Sako mounts don't come with the gun.....There's nothing bad about either mount....but if one comes free with the gun....hey.....use it!!

Personally I'd buy the least costly one if the gun don't include the mounts.....

I've never had any problem with mounts of any kind at any price!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having had both types of mounts on a Sako the Leupold seems to be a cleaner and less expensive installation. I beleive the new Sako rings are also windage adjustable and have the insert system which will reduce stress on your scope. They are probably twice the price of a Leupold mount.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:51 PM

Oldelkhunter - you've got that right! Unless I'm looking at the wrong rings, Leupold has rings with an integrated Weaver type base. I've found a set for $45. The Sako setup has separate bases and rings. Found those for $59 for the bases, another $59 for the rings. Sako's are a more expensive rifle, so I'm not complaining about the cost of the rings. I so feel that Leupold gear is quality stuff also. However, I don't know if what I'm finding is in fact and acceptable alternative. This is what I found on MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/242805
Old 01-13-2003, 04:36 PM

If money is no object, then look at the Conetrol scope mounts. They are the cleanest installation going. I have all of my scopes mounted with them, plus one 44 magnum Ruger with 10 1/2" barrel. They do not cost all that much more than the Sako mounts. Go to www.conetrol.com.

Good luck,

Robert
Old 01-13-2003, 06:12 PM

There is a similar question presently being addressed on the Sako Collectors' Club board. You may wish to check it out. These guys are all devoted Sako owners and I find they generally seem to know what they're talking about. gg
http://groups.msn.com/SakoCollectors...05136975141708

"When I was born I was so surprised I couldn't talk for a year and a half"
Old 01-13-2003, 06:50 PM

I have a Sako 75 in 7 mm Rem Mag with Leupold rings and a Zeiss Conquest scope. So far, I couldn't be happier with the setup.

Chesapeake Osprey
Old 01-13-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2003, 01:20 AM

Thanks for your input. I had a chance to stop by the gun shop this evening and actually get my hands on a set of Sako and Leupold mounts for the Sako 75. I'm sure that the Leupold rings would have been fine, but decided to go with the Sako. I liked the way they locked into position with the tapered rails.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:39 AM

You did fine. That Sako mount system is extremely strong. You'll never have to worry about them moving.