Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question for FFL Dealers or Gun Shop Managers

Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question for FFL Dealers or Gun Shop Managers

I've been thinking about starting a small gun shop, but wondered about the markup prices....

Are small companies able to purchase new guns at decent wholesale prices and able to have a decent markup?

Or is it even worth trying to go into business with large Companies in the area, that can buy in large quantities?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for FFL Dealers or Gun Shop Managers

It ain't worth it unless you clearly have something to offer that the mass retailers/discount chain stores don't have. One thing you DON'T wanna do is sell the exact same models as they do. Sell a bit more "upscale" models that ain't available from chain store. One thing to offer is gunsmithing work instore,available training,or some other benefit that you would expect from a ro shop".
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM

I also agree with Stalkingbear , it will be hard to keepup with the retail chains , they buy in such bulk , you can not beat there prices if you are a mom & pop type store. You need to specialize to give your self an edge over them. It will be hard ,but doable. Do your home work ,buy a Shot Gun news if you haven't already to see what kind of dealer prices are out there.
Getting an FFL is not what it used to be , expect a long procedure and they (BATF )will want a floor plan of you shop and times of business hours and a lot more .Good Luck , you will need it ,dealing with the ATF.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Location! What is your market area? How many other gun shops are there in a 20 miles radius? What type of value can you add (gunsmithing, training)? Can you sign up a big customer, like a gun range, can you open a gun range? Study our state regulation.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A gun shop is just like any other business- if you are asking people on the internet about what your markup is going to be you are 100% sure to fail. If you put a business plan together, you would know the answer. Don't put the cart way in front of the horse.

I'm always excited to see new gun shops open, but most people who open them do it as an extension of their hobby and have little business sense and end up with a lot of money stuck into their business with very little income.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take all the advice and realy think it over. You won't make a lot of money as a small gunshop owner. It also takes a while to build a regular customer base and that's iffy still. Key thing is you don't make the $ on firearms but rather on accessories. Jujst lke gas stations...they make very little per gallon on gas but they hope you stop and buy itmes inside where the mark-up is higher. It's the accessories that make the profits.
Still, you're competing wth the large chain stores who buy in large quantities so they'll sometimes sell and what your cost will be. Now you need to sell a item other in the area don't offer. Good 'cause it'll be unique to your shop, but bad in that many won't posibly recodnize the items and pass them over.

After all this...it kinda goes back around to what briman said, if you gotta ask online about it, you proberly should look at a different route. Not being a wsieguy but having the desire to take the step really should inolve much more forethought than what a bunch ofanonomous pplonline will say.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been a gunsmith for years and i was just trying to help as i see it.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:06 PM

I was a class one and three dealer for over twenty years and I was trying to help out too and some times you need other people to help you put your head together and make some sense to it all . I went to a small business class to get some insight of running your own business , it helped me keep my books ,that was about all and yes of course they made it perfectly clear that " YOU ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY " ,but I didn't listen , I just tried to help my brothers in arms , stupid me .
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a sure fact is when you run a gun shop,you start having "friends" coming out your ears. And they all want the buddy discount.