Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Teaching the gf to shoot..Suggestions?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Teaching the gf to shoot..Suggestions?

My girlfriend has told me she wants to accompany me in the deer stand this year. This is fine with me, especially since I am hunting on her parents land..Anyway, we are going to shoot this weekend and I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions for teaching her how to shoot a scoped rifle. I will most likely have her start with my Rem 700 .243, and if that goes well, we mighttrymy A-bolt .270 later. She has shot my Marlin 1895G (standing, not from sandbags), and **** didn't seem to mind that too much.

She not new to shooting guns, only new to shooting a scoped rifle. She claims she doesn't like rifles because she can't keep them steady (makes sense..), as she is a phenomenal shotgun shooter. Anyway, other than taking a few shots off the sandbags, what else can we do to get some confidence in her. Any bright ideas? Thanks guys -

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Teaching the gf to shoot..Suggestions?

You could let her hunt with the marlin. If she is going to use the scoped .243, have her start out on large, easy explosive targets at short range--milk jugs or laundry soap jugs filled with water. Confidence is everything.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 AM

If she is a great shotgun shooter already, your job is much easier. I would let her shoot all three the .243, .270 and Marlin from the bench and unsupported/off-hand if that is how she would shoot while on stand and they let her decide which she prefers.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

another thought--what a about a slug from her favorite shotgun?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Agshooter

My girlfriend has told me she wants to accompany me in the deer stand this year. This is fine with me, especially since I am hunting on her parents land..Anyway, we are going to shoot this weekend and I would like to know if you guys have any suggestions for teaching her how to shoot a scoped rifle. I will most likely have her start with my Rem 700 .243, and if that goes well, we mighttrymy A-bolt .270 later. She has shot my Marlin 1895G (standing, not from sandbags), and **** didn't seem to mind that too much.

She not new to shooting guns, only new to shooting a scoped rifle. She claims she doesn't like rifles because she can't keep them steady (makes sense..), as she is a phenomenal shotgun shooter. Anyway, other than taking a few shots off the sandbags, what else can we do to get some confidence in her. Any bright ideas? Thanks guys -
LOTS of hearing protection! Plugs inside earmuffs!

Also, bring a scoped .22lr along to the range. Have her burn a box of 50 for every 10 or 15 centerfire rounds she shoots.

FC
Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can think of 2 things that would help her. First,let her shoot a .22 rifle extensively and teach her how to use any available rest such as leaning rifle against tree,on log,in V of sapling,shooting sticks are especially helpful.
Then she'll shoot a deer rifle like a champ.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Great ideas guys, thanks a bunch. We'll definitely blow up some milk jugs & we'll look into that shotgun/slug.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 PM

I agree with the others that suggested you start her off on a scoped .22. You can move on to the .243 after she's got the hang of shooting the .22.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 PM

While I think that a .22 is great for any shooter at any level of experience, if she has been shooting shotguns quite a bit, she could likely skip the .22 and go straight to the .243 without missing a hitch.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, she has shot the .22 on several occasions, but that would be good to shoot in between shooting the .243 & cooling the barrel. It will likely be pretty hot this weekend[:@]

Quick Reply: Teaching the gf to shoot..Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.