Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kid's gun? Rossi single shot

Old 09-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kid's gun? Rossi single shot

I was thinking about an H&R single shot for my daughter when she gets a bit bigger, but recently saw a Rossi single shot rifle of a similar style I like too.

It would be her first rifle, and used as a plinker, and possible deer gun if she gets into hunting. Anybody got this one? What do you think?

It's a 22LR, but has changeable barrels. It also comes as a packagewith a .410 barrel, and also has20 gauge and 243 barrels available.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Kid's gun? Rossi single shot

Ive sold a few "under protest" to some customers, " you know the customer is always right", that after they purchaced them wished they hadnt!. Very cheaply made, horrible triggers that you really cant do nothing with, and the plastic sights keep falling off. The triggers are bad enough that young children cant hardly squeeze off a round and hit what they are aimming at, very heavy!.I would recomend holding off on that buy!, put a few more dollars into something that they can have forever if they choose to do and will enjoy to shoot.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

devil dog,

Thanks for that info. I was considering a Rossi or an NEF/H&R .243 for my wife, and I guess I'll scratch the Rossi off my list despite the good deals to be had on them at a local store.

Mike
Old 09-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad I asked. Thanks.

I knew Rossi's revolvers were nothing to write home about (or take home for that matter), but I didn't think anybody screwed up a break open single shot. I guess that explains why they go on sale for $99 (as a two barrel combo no less.)
I saw it at D!ck's Sporting Goods, and they won't take the trigger locks off until you buy it.

I'm a BIG believer in good triggers for accuracy and ease of shooting.
I take it that the NEF/H&R is much better?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading an article in a gun mag about a test Handi-Rifle with a trigger that broke just under 4 lbs, which isn't too shabby for a factory trigger. Especially now that ambulance-chasing tort lawyers have manufacturers running scared so they set their triggers so tight you could enter them as resistance in a tractor pull.

I could live with 4 lbs for a hunting rifle.

Mike

Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I bought one with the .22 barrel and 20 gauge barrel. For the 100.00 bucks it cost, can't be beat.

[/align]
Old 10-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 sets of them and both are ok guns. For the money they cant be beat. They shoot pretty well accuracy wise and I dont really think that the sites that they put on them where meant to last. I just threw a scope on mine and a hammer spur and for about $115 I have a shotgun and rifle that work pretty well.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll want my daughter to learn shooting with open sights and a decent trigger that is light enough for her to manipulate well so that she has early success in shooting, and has fun doing it instead of feelign that it is something she can't do well until she is older and bigger.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Bought mine for my son whowas5 at the time. He is 7 now. No problems with the trigger. The 20 gauge barrel packs some kick so a .410 barrel might be better for young kid. My son hasshot his .22 barrel about 400 times so far. Good accuracy.

[/align]
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I bought the NEF VersaPack for my son which is just a .22 and 410 combo in a youth package. The .22 is surprisingly accurate and the gun has a nice clean trigger. Walmart had them for $117 but when all the stores up north quit selling guns they shipped them down here to the south and I picked mine up for $79. Not a bad deal.

Quick Reply: Kid's gun? Rossi single shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.