Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

short magnums

Old 01-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default short magnums

Ive been seeing alot on the short magnums does anyone own one?

Old 01-11-2003, 09:26 PM

Default RE: short magnums

I do. Have a Browning A-Bolt Classic Hunter in .270WSM. I've only had it a little while now and haven't had the opportunity to take it to the field yet. I have taken it to the range to sight in though.

Recoil seems to be a consideration that is brought when talking about the short magnums. I wear a PAST pad at the range, a friend who has the same rifle does not. Neither of us think that there's any issue with recoil. According to some of the recoil tables I've reviewed, recoil is comperable to a 30-06.

Ammo availability can be a bit frustrating. There's not a lot of different ammo out there for the 270WSM, but what is there is good. It costs a few dollars more than regular 270 ammo, which isn't that big a difference. I have not seen any "cheap" ammo, something to take to the range for a little practice but not hunting. Ammo availability is more frustrating. I count myself lucky if I can find a couple boxes, the 130 grain BSTs are especially hard to find. I ended up ordering a case on-line, which saved me $90 after shipping.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

When the short magnums first came out I looked at them as the answer to a problem that didn,t exist. I have since started to take interest in them. The 270 short mag is what got me loohing because other than the 270 Weather Mag, the 270 SM fills a small gap in the power range in that caliber. Sort of a 270 winchester mag. The recoil is not that much grearet than the 270 win. This is really the case when useing 130 grain bullets. What I am really waiting on though is a 257 short mag. I read that one is on the way but I don,t know just when. I am waiting to see how it will stack up against the 25-06. The 257 Weatherby has long impressed me but the price always discouraged me from buying one or having one rebarreled from a 270 Win action.

Old 01-12-2003, 01:28 PM

I bought a winchester model 70 weather weight last fall in 300WSM. I really like this gun on looks alone it has a really nice piece of very dark walnut so I bought it for that reson I used it to take a few deer over the fall seasons and Im very happy with its proformance . As far as it doing anything alot of other older calibers wont do I dont beleave that but it is a good shooter and very acurrate so far.

3DNWV