Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Yes or No? Carbon Barrel...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Yes or No? Carbon Barrel...

Okay, so Magnum Research is sold out of their 6mm barrels and they won't have any more for about 6 months. They wanted $600 for them. Christensen has them in stock, but they want $825 for it. Should I wait for Magnums, buy the Christensen, or just go with a good barrel from Pac-Nor, Lilja etc...??

Thanks

Oh, it will be for a .243 AI.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yes or No? Carbon Barrel...

As you know,the barrel "liner" on carbon barrels is same exact thing as a solid barrel. Unless you're REALLY concerned with weight,I'd go with a top notch solid barrel from lilja,hart,snieder,wather-lothar,etc. Decreased weight and quicker cooldown is the only benefit of the carbon wrapped barrels. Unless you're going to be shooting a lot of rounds quickly,stick with solid. As we all know,temperture is perhaps THE main enemy of barrels,and shooting too quick will heat up any barrel.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 AM
bigcountry

Those carbon barrels are pretty awesome. I always thought they would heat up quicker and not cool. I always thought of carbon wrap as a insulator. But then I discussed it with my fellow thermodynamics engineer who sits near me, and I got an education. That carbon wrap will shed heat much quicker than steel radially. Hense the reason for the big metal discs at the end.

I haven't shot a carbon barrel by them, but always intrigued by them. So I understand you dilemma. But I would probably go with Dan Lilja. Solid barrels. Last Krieger I got I had some issues. I had good ones before. And am sure lilja puts out some bad barrels, but most of the time, they are awesome.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with ya BigCountry, I have always liked them and wanted one just because. The weight isn't the issue, i just thought it would be a one of a kind rifle. For about half the price I could get a pretty nice Lilja, man too many dang decisions!! [:@]

Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Spike

I could be wrong, but I always thought that the reason the carbon barreled rifles didn't really catch on was that if you ever got a nick in the barrel, it would eventually come off - either split or unwrap. I like the looks of them, but after hearing that I have stayed away from them. I always liked the looks of them, but a more conventional barreled rifle would most likely be easier to sell in the long run if that is a concern. Plus, with my luck I would lean it up against the truck when nature called and it would do the old slide down the side and end up on the ground. Then I would be sick about the scratch on the truck, the possibility of the scope being off, and the nick in the barrel.

Jason
Old 09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only concerns I've heard about with the carbon-wrapped barrels is the inner liner is pretty thin and maybe more prone to wearing out faster than a solid steel barrel. I would still love to have one though, mostly for the weight savings and just the looks of them. Should be a good shooter too, stiffer than the steel they say.

Also, I would be concerned about nicks and scratches on the cabon's surface and how those are cleaned up or repaired if needed.

Can't go wrong with steel but get what you want so long as you think you'll be happy with it. Either way you go though, make sure to post pics of it please. Also, is this mostly for varmiting or for deer or both?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will be for both varmints and deer.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

For a centerfire rifle i would go with a quality solid steel barrel. But as far as the "steel liner" on the carbon wrapped barrel wearing out, it would have to wear thru all the lands and grooves first, and last time i check a barrel isnt overly accurate past that point anyways. but as others on the forumhave stated, they do have their place. Lightweight and faster heat dissapation as others have stated, as carbon fiber is an excellent conductor. also, carbon is VERY rigid, basically giving the stiffness of a bull barrel but w/o the weight. IMHO, i would stick with a steel barrel on a bolt gun, i mean you want some weight there.on a smaller semi-auto or a compact fast handlingbolti would consider a carbon wrap barrel. also i think the barrels have a place in the rimfire catagory as well, im seriously considering a semi-auto M2 or HMR made by Magnum Research based off the 10/22 action, sweet LIGHT little rifles. just as good of shooters as a Voltquartzen in my mind.