Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CVA OPTIMA OR T/C OMEGA OPINIONS ?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 PM

Default RE: CVA OPTIMA OR T/C OMEGA OPINIONS ?

Not my fault others dont know how to put their warranty to use. I perfer the winchester brand, but cva does/ did make an awesome percussion sidelock.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the T/C omega. These are some very accurate muzzleloaders. Despite the claim by one of the previous posters I have never heard of any problems with the Omegas breaking easily or needing more repairs than other muzzleloaders. In fact my experiences and what I have been told is just the opposite. My friend runs a sporting goods store and he has less toubles by far with T/C muzzleloaders thanany other brand he sells. I have also noted that Omegas tend (on average) to be more accurate than cheaper CVA muzzeoaders.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the area I hunt in NY the only way I am allowed to shoot a doe is either with a bow or muzzleloader. I have very little confidence with a bow so I decided to get a muzzleloader. I bought the cheap CVA Wolf through the mail never having handled one. I must say that I am quite impressed with what I got for the little money I spent. I have not fired it yet, but if I get a 4 inch group at 100 yards I will be more than satisfied since any shot will probably be a good deal closer than that. It just didn't make sense to me spending more money for a gun that can only be used during a one week season of which I probably won't be able to hunt more than 2 or 3 days. For this reason I think the CVA's are one of the best deals one can find in hunting.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I have a CVA Kodiak and also a T/C BMMAG and Omega. I do hunt with both T/C and CVA and I do like theCVA. It shoots great and has been reliable in all weahter that I have exposed it to. T/C is a better made firearm undoubtly, but I would be getting along just fine with only a CVA. CS is good at CVA, they will get back to you quickly, T/C does not have the best customer service - they will talk to you, but to get what you need seems to take more tries than are needed. This is something that big-brother is re-engineering at T/C now and I hope they can do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

In the area I hunt in NY the only way I am allowed to shoot a doe is either with a bow or muzzleloader. I have very little confidence with a bow so I decided to get a muzzleloader. I bought the cheap CVA Wolf through the mail never having handled one. I must say that I am quite impressed with what I got for the little money I spent. I have not fired it yet, but if I get a 4 inch group at 100 yards I will be more than satisfied since any shot will probably be a good deal closer than that. It just didn't make sense to me spending more money for a gun that can only be used during a one week season of which I probably won't be able to hunt more than 2 or 3 days. For this reason I think the CVA's are one of the best deals one can find in hunting.
Steve863, I bought a Wolf just to see if I'd enjoy hunting with a muzzleloader. You'll like the Wolf. Picture below is a 3 shot group at 50yards 250gr Knight Red Hots with Crushed Rib Sabots, 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, 209 Remington Kleen bore primers. I tend not to get into the TC/CVA debates. I spent way less for my CVA and I'm happy. I only had one issue that I needed to call customer service and got taken care so I'm satisfied. Everyone has their "pet" firearms as do I.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

And heres a group at 100 yards. Note the target is 6 inches in diameter so the 50yd shot is about 3 inches high. On the 100 yard shot I started with a clean barrel with no swabbing between shots. 1 2 and 3 are in the center and then the others started to open up. Thats a dead deer no matter how you want to slice it

Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a mighty fine group! If I can do anything close to that with my gun I will be more than delighted. What is even MORE important than the size of the group is that a deer will be just as dead as if we were shooting something costing a lot more!
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the second photo, also! You are darn right that would be one dead deer. I have some 250 grain shockwaves and some 250 Hornady sabots I will be trying. I got some 50 grain 777 pellets since those were the only thing the store carried and plan to use a 100grain charge . I also got Remington primers as you do. I plan to shoot it in another week. I put an older spare 4x redfield scope on it with Durasight scope mounts. The gun is also nice and light. I bought the gun from Cabelas and had over $100 in members points along with a gift card that my wife had given me for my birthday. I honestly didn't pay one red cent for this gun which makes the whole package even sweeter!!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM

Winchester X-150, 300 grain XTP @ 50 yards. Open sights.

X-150 with a 410 grain hornady great plains conical, 100 yards, open sights

CVA Staghorn, "2" shots in the black" 410 grain great plains conical, 75 yards open sight.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega 3 shot group with 240 grain Hornady XTP mags at 100 yards. Each square is one inch by one inch. That's not just accurate enough that's sub 1 inch accurate at 100 yards. To each his own but I like having a muzzleloader that is every bit as accurate asmy centerfire rifles.

Quick Reply: CVA OPTIMA OR T/C OMEGA OPINIONS ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.