Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gonna get a pistol...

Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM

Default RE: gonna get a pistol...

I was just worried that the 44 mag. would be like the .243 win. in rifle hunting, that it would "do the job" but had the least power of em all when i could just look around for a better calibure. some thing I could find easily (not obscure like say .220 swift). i may need to shoot at the farthest 100 yards.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

I am a little confused. Do you wish to carry the sidearm as your primary weapon or just for defense against hogs ? If yo are looking for a primary weapon, the 45 is not your gun. Try a large caliber, long barrelwheel gun with a scope. If you are only looking for "defense" in the woods, well, you are hunting in the wrong woods. I carry a .41 wheel gun with a 6 inch barrel to put down any offending hogs. I must say though, hogs rarely come the sound of a rifle. The 45 you have purchased is good for personal / home defense only.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Spike

I've been looking for the same thing here in west texas. A lot of hunters around here have found themselves surronded by piglets and wondering when momma pig was going to run them up a tree. The XD45 was recommended to me as a good defense weapon.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say look at a glock 21 .45 acp. Good defense round but not good for hunting. But for a few hundread bucks more you can buy a 10mm mag and a 10mm barrel for it. The 10mm is a great round for hunting. Just expensive for target shooting.