Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help with scope for new 270...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Need help with scope for new 270...

I am a new forum member and would really appreciate any help regarding a scope for a new 270.

I primarily hunt elk and deer in Utah and Idaho. I anticipate potential shots reaching out to 400 yards (unlikely I would fire one off at further distances). Would it be beneficial to get something other than the 3-9x40, i.e. something more powerful?

Also, I am hoping to spend no more than $250 (that is all fine and dandy 'til I step up to the counter and magically end up spending twice that!!) I was looking at the Leupold Rifleman scopes...good scope? I have a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 on a 300WM that seems to be a fine scope.

Again, any comments/replies would be greatly appreciated. The 270 will be used for deer and such critters (not elk). Anyhow, thanks for the replies if and when they come and am certainly open to any suggestions.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with scope for new 270...

Well, huntngolf, welcome to the forums. You can get lots of advice and comments here.
As far as a scope for your rifle, most people on here know I'm pretty much a hard-core Leupold fan. I usually equip my rifles with Vari-X II's, and have no desire to change. I do own one 4X12 Rifleman, and find no fault with it. I'm sure you are going to get other choices advocated to you here, and that's fine. The best thing you can do is to actually look thru as many scopes as you can in order to satisfy yourself. What one person loves, someone else wouldn't own.
I would say to you, spend as much money as you possibly can on the optics for your gun. It is money well spent. Those $49 "Specials" are definitely real "special". Stay away from the junk. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.......... Also, be sure to get a good, solid mounting system also. They pay dividends in the end.
I feel the 3X9 good quality scope (40mm) should satisfy your needs.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

One other comment. When comparing optics it is nearly impossible to compare choice A to choice B unless you have the ability to look through one, and immediately switch to the other and back again. Nearly every scope looks reasonably good when you don't compare it to anything else.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: huntngolf

I am a new forum member and would really appreciate any help regarding a scope for a new 270.

I primarily hunt elk and deer in Utah and Idaho. I anticipate potential shots reaching out to 400 yards (unlikely I would fire one off at further distances). Would it be beneficial to get something other than the 3-9x40, i.e. something more powerful?

...I have a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 on a 300WM that seems to be a fine scope.
You already have your answer - and it's a fine one! If you don't want to spend the $$$ on a 2nd 4200, then get a 3200. They're both a tremendous value.

FC
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might want to check out the new line of Nikon Monarchs. They are gearing towardshigher power variblesin their new line.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found the Leupold 2X-7X to be a good compromise between size, weight, and adequate power for long shots in mountainous terrain. Their 2.5X-8X is also good, but a little heavier. Mountain rifles need to be kept pretty light if you carry them all day on foot.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 AM

I used to be a die hard leupold man, until recent quality issues have turned me off. the Leupold Rifleman and vx1 are no good IMHO. You have to go with at least the VX2 line and I prefer the VX3.

Bushnell 4200 and 3200 elites are very high quality, especially for the money.

I recently purchased a Nikon for my sons first rifle. I spent around 150 for it and I'm very impressed with the quality.

Weaver makes very good scopes as well, especially the Grandslam series.

IMHO the best value out theree is the Zeiss Conquest 3x9-40mm for $399. This is an unbelievable value for excellent equipment.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks folks for taking some time to offer up your insight and suggestions...it is greatly appreciated. These forums can take a lof of the guessing out of some indecision. Thanks again!!

I would certainly be open to any and all other thoughts if they are out there. I have a bit of time 'til I make the purchase and per your thoughts above, I have a bit more to think about. Again, thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have also started leaning to the 2x7s, bcause of the weight and the fact that you can use low mounts. Had a 3x9x40 on a Rem 270 and changed to a Leo 2x7 and loved it. How often do you take a shot set on 9 power? The last 2 rifles a 450 Marlin and 270WSM have the 2x7 on them. Zeak
Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM

A scope doesn't weigh anything.

The rule of thumb is to find the scope with the largest objective and the largest field of view that will fit in your budget and on your rifle.

An Elk hunt to most forum members is a once in a lifetime event. If you do it every year, then you should already be a well versed hunter and you should already have an opinion on what you like and dislike.

Both my 300 Winchester Magnum - Browning Pump Rifle and my Browning bolt action rifle has 3200 Bushnells on them. One is a 5 x 15 x 50 and the second has a 5 x 15 x 40!

The 5 x 15 x 50 was $339 + tax, 6 years ago.

The 5 x 15 x 40 was $339 + tax a few months ago at a gun shop sale.

So neither of them fits into your budget.

At the same time, telling us that you would opt for a lesser scope and maybe a 2 x 7 power confirms that you do not know much about guns or scopes.

A 2 x 7 will give you a wider field of view - if it had a larger objective lense.

The objective lense gathers light and filters it through the scope and is reflected into the eyepiece. The more light you have - the brighter the scope will appear to be. That equals a longer time in the field that you can see through your scope to shoot.

Most quality shots at game are taken in the early morning hours and the late afternoon hours and when weather patterns change. Cold fronts, storms, wind storms all will encourage deer or elk to move.

Just the thought of not having good equipment would make me rethink my priorities.

As far as Leupold scopes goes.

Back in the day when the only good optics were imports, Leupold made a good scope at a fair price.

BUT, Leupold has let the ball slip out of their hands and now the good scopes are not made by Leupold. Only the scopes that people use for target practice are still using Leupold scopes - because they feel that they are more reliable than a ordinary scope.

The 4200 Bushnell is a Target Practice Scope = not a hunting scope!

You do not need a 4200 to shoot a deer or an elk.

Most ethical shots are within 300 yards!

Like I tell all my friends, a scope is a once in a lifetime investment. You take care of it and it will take care of you! If you cannot afford a good scope, go out and get a part time job and make an extra $150 and buy the Bushnell 3200.

shut off the cell phones and turn off the cable tv and the internet.

Cancell next years family vacation.

Within a week, your family will tighten it's belt and hand you the $150 to buy the better scope with no questions asked!

Quick Reply: Need help with scope for new 270...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.