Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossburg shotguns any good?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Default RE: mossburg shotguns any good?

I own both the 500 and the 535. The 535 is my favorite. I got the 28” waterfowl and the 22” turkey barrels. I think it’s the best gun for the money. I also own an Remington 870…not that pleased with it. I’m now looking at the Mossberg 930 (autoloader).
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM

I have 2 500's. One is black tac for home defense. I think they are a great gun for the money.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i own 2 Mossbergs...a 835 ultimag and a 500. imo Mossberg is the best shotgun manufacturer out there.

Mossberg=dependable
Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO They are NOT rugged they are sure not reliable my grandpa had one any it is the worst gun that is made
If you are going to buy a gun buy a Benelli or a Remington 870 but if i was you i would just save up my money and by a Benelli
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM

my 500 has been great for the money
Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM

I have a Mossburg 500 and while overall I have been happy with the way it shoots, I have had problems with the shells ejecting. Especially when shooting for squirrels up in the trees. Someone has said that it could possibly be me not working the pump hard enough, but I have made a concerted effort to do this recently and it still hasn't helped too much. I also have had no problems with any other pump shotguns. Just my experiences. If anyone has any ideas on my problem I would love to hear them and possibly be able to give these guns my full fledged endorsement.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 AM

Although I don't currently own one, every Mossberg gun that I've carried or friends have used when I was along always functioned fine. They are just not my personal favorites. I have never heard a "horror story" about one ever.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:08 AM

Uncle Matt is correct. The slide is loud, not when you are cycling a new shell, but when it's at rest. Touch it and it makes noise.

That being said, I had an Ulti-Mag 835. Hated the thing. Loud slide, safety button was way too stiff, didn't eject all the time, and I could not get it to pattern no matter what I tried.

The only thing I liked about it was it didn't pound the snot out of me with 3.5" shells. I liked it's relative lack of hard hard recoiling with the big shells.

I did get rid of the thing.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I got a 870 and 1187 Remington slug guns. Just for giggles and grins I'm dragging out my old 500 this year thats been setting in my gun safe for 5 years. I have a rifled cantilever scope mount barrel and just put a new Nikon Pro Staff on it. I'll hunt with my muzzleloader unless it's raining but will have the 500 tuned in. I've killed more deer with that 500 than anything else. Also guys, check the Diicks add today. Buy 1 box of ammo get the second for 50% off. I'm headed to town to pick up some Lightfield Hybrid sabots for my Mossberg.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 AM

I've owned a Winchester 1200 for 32 years. 1500+ rounds easy. Great for dove and ducks. Needs a shorter barrel for quail, for me.

I'm looking into a 500 combo. Does it have twin slide bars like the Win./Rem. pumps? Singles bind. Twins are as slick as socks on a rooster.

Quick Reply: mossburg shotguns any good?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.