Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What group size is your rifle shooting?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What group size is your rifle shooting?

My Sako 75 in 300 Win Mag puts pretty much everything into .75" to 1.5" and that's acceptable hunting accuracy for me. I love the bug hole groups at 100yds or the sub 2" groups at 325yds but it doesn't do that consistently. What it does do consistently is print decent groups at the same POI and it hasn't let me down yet.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Spike

If you're shooting a light cotoured barrel the normal procedure is to shoot 3 shot groups. Heavier barrels can stand 5 shot groups without opening up the groups. If your first three shots group well then the group opens up on the 4th or 5th shot then you're having barrel heating problems. My Ruger 77 270 shoots handloads into 1" groups after some glass bedding and trigger work. Right out of the box with Remington 130 Core-Lokt's the accuracy was horrible, 3"-4" groups.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which rifle are you talking about?? Mine are not all tack-drivers.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

I reckon this isn't too shabby for something I threw together a couple of years ago when I was slow in the shop...

load development photos...

Old 09-13-2007, 04:52 PM

I only have one rifle, .308, and I can usually get the holes to touch at 100. If it shoots over MOA it's me, not the weapon.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the guy who said most shooters are not qualified to shoot moa consistently is correct. Also, I'm guessing I'm not in the qualified group. I find it hard to consistently shoot a group of 5 that I'm satisfied I didn't pull just a little bit.

I have found, limited though my shooting ability may be, that my rifles shoot differently with different factory loads. My .25-06 shoots reasonably well with Hornady Custom ammo but poorly with several other kinds of ammo. I can keep my groups under about 1.5" with the Hornady but find that I can't do better than 2.5" or even 3.5" with some other ammo. As I understand it, this is not an indication of the poor quality or variability of this other ammo, but just an instance of a rifle having a particular resonant frequency which agrees with some ammo and not with others. In another .25-06 rifle the Hornady Custom ammo may perform poorly and one of the loads that performs poorly in my rifle may be perfect in another rifle. So go try about 5 different commercial loads in your rifle.

Of course, if you hand load you can use fire-formed brass and tune your load to your rifle. I don't reload, but I've been attracted to this aspect of reloading -- tuning loads to shoot very well in each of my rifles.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

first 5 rounds I ever put through one of my swede mausers. 1st shot I pulled to the left because the trigger was a lot lighter than I expected, the next 4 went into 3/4." Did I mention that this was with iron sights?

No I can't duplicate those results- I'm typically a 1.5moa shooter with irons but that is getting worse as my eyesight is getting 'older'

I do have 7 or 8 rifles that will shoot that well ofbetter scoped- a remington .308, a Swedish M41B sniper, and a 1/2 dozen Swiss K31s.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

My Savage 111 / 30-06 shoots more or less at the MOA. The 165 gr bullets are a bit tighter than the 150 gr. All of that is nice but is it really usefull? The question is how well will you be able to shoot from an improvised position (no bench while hunting) when you see the caribou at 200 yds or a deer at 80 yards. I am happy as long as I can get a 5" group at 300 yards on the field with a high probability.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: savage3006

My Savage 111 / 30-06 shoots more or less at the MOA. The 165 gr bullets are a bit tighter than the 150 gr. All of that is nice but is it really usefull? The question is how well will you be able to shoot from an improvised position (no bench while hunting) when you see the caribou at 200 yds or a deer at 80 yards. I am happy as long as I can get a 5" group at 300 yards on the field with a high probability.
This is exactly why I love my .22. I can practice my 5 basic positions from both sides without spending a fortune in ammo. I don't even shoot it from the bench. What would be the point? I use it like a practice ball, with my hunting rifles being my game ball.

Quick Reply: What group size is your rifle shooting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.