Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

CZ550 - Safari Rifles In Big Bores: Feedback?

Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 PM

Default CZ550 - Safari Rifles In Big Bores: Feedback?

I'm a Winchester Model 70 man myself, but I am entertaining "finishing out" the upper end of my rack and I am intrigued by CZ's $599 Safari Rifles, probably in 458 Win Mag or 416 Rigby since I already have 375HH and 338WinMag. Does any one out there have one of these "bad boys"? If so please help me with the following questions:

(1) What caliber do you own?
(2) Is the overall "package" acceptable to you? Is the quality sufficient so that you are proud of it and don't have to make excuses for it? (Yeah, .... but it was only $600....)
(3) How do you like the factory trigger (pull & smoothness)?
(4) Does it cycle and feed smoothly?
(5) Is it accurate?
(6) If you scoped it, then was the mounting straight forward and easy?
(7) VERY IMPORTANT TO ME IS: How do you like their "lux" stock that turns downward near the butt plate? Do you feel this is superior or inferior to the "American Sporter" type of stock?

EKM

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: CZ550 - Safari Rifles In Big Bores: Feedback?

ElkKampmaster...I have been looking at CZ rifles for about a year or so and have also thought about the 550 in 375 H&H.

1> You will not have to make any excuses about quality...this is a very well made rifle fit and finish are above average.

2> Factory trigger was Ok on all the models I looked at and played with. Certainly any rifle you buy these days has to have that item modified.

3> Scope rings are available from CZ and dovetail into reciever or available from Warne,Talley and others.

4> Other than reading writeups in Rifle magazine on the CZ550 American no real world idea of how accurate they are.

5> The Lux stock is the turnoff ...cosmetically it bothers me , whether it works(handles recoil) or not can't tell.

6> Action is very smooth.

7> A good source for additional info on this rifle would be American Hunting Rifles based out of Montana. The owner bases his entire hunting rifle line on the CZ action and speaks very highly of them. He also sells replacement stocks for this rifle.

8> I also understand that lots of these 550 Safaris end up in Alaska.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]