Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 11-87 Help

Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Remington 11-87 Help

I am shopping a new 12-gauge semi-auto shotgun and I have decided to go with a remington based shotgun off of my good luck with my first shotgun ever, an 870. I want a camo gun so I'm looking at either the Super Magnum or the Sportsman. The only difference between the 2 guns is that one has a [28" barrel and a 3" chamber] and the other has [26" barrel and 3.5" chamber]. I want the Super Magnum but I have only shot 28" barrels.

So my questions are...

1. Is that a good gun (price range) compared to the Browning Gold/Silver, Mossberg 935, Franchi I-12, Stoeger Model 2000, and the Beretta Urika?

2. Is the gas system better than the inertia systems?

3. Does the difference in the 28" barrel and the 26" barrel a noticeable difference?

4. Will the 11-87 Super Magnum shoot ALL rounds? Does it shoot the lower brass shells? I heard someone say the gun comes with 2 O-rings that can be swapped and both shells can be shot...I dunno...

Thanks for time to comment!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Default RE: Remington 11-87 Help

I see 39 people have viewed this but no replies. Guys Im really serious and I would like experienced opinions. I would really appreciate it fellow hunters!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM

1. Is that a good gun (price range) compared to the Browning Gold/Silver, Mossberg 935, Franchi I-12, Stoeger Model 2000, and the Beretta Urika?
That really depends on how it fits you. The Franchi fits me a lot better than the Urika/Browning/Mossberg. Fit is a very important thing to consider here.

Yes/no. The gas system will take away more felt recoil (usually). But the recoil operated guns run a little better. IMHO

3. Does the difference in the 28" barrel and the 26" barrel a noticeable difference?
For a field gun, not really. You can learn to shoot either well. For a field gun, I prefer a 26". And for clays, my gun sports a 30" barrel.

4. Will the 11-87 Super Magnum shoot ALL rounds? Does it shoot the lower brass shells? I heard someone say the gun comes with 2 O-rings that can be swapped and both shells can be shot...I dunno...
I can't help you out much here. I only have an 1100, and it is 2 3/4" only. Best to check with Remington for a difinitive answer. I would suggest dropping them an email, or a phone call.

Bottom line, I would go and handle as many options as you can. See what one shoulders/fits/swings the best for you. And good luck.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

i personally dont own one but the best thing to do is to go to bps, or cabelas, and take a grand, and just try them all out. see how they feel. ask about them. from what i know the super magnum should shoot all shells. i have an 870 magnum that does. check out the website and it will tell you waht its chambered for.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with cma3366a's comments about a 3" gun being all most sportsmen need. IMHO, it's hard tofind a 3.5" gun that will consistently cycle target loads, and many of my friends who have Benelli SBE's will say the same thing. I've seen plenty SBE's on the skeet fields not cycle from time to time. I have also heard that the 3.5 inch Remingtons are not all that reliable with light loads.

I purchased 3.5 inch Browning Gold about six years ago, and sold itafter one weekend of use. Worst gun I've ever owned. It had constant ejection problems, and thearea around the ejection port was severly chipped from from the shells. This was after onlyfour boxes ofsteel duckloads. I called Browning, andthey stated this was normal and there was nothing theywould do about it. I will never purchase another Browning again -- not because of a bad gun, but because of terrible customer service.

I have an 11-87 3" Premier that I purchased in 1994, andlove it.Thousands of rounds, and notone problem. I also have an old Remington 11-48 recoil operated gun, and to this day shoots excellent -- very few problems, and it cycles heavy target and game loads every time. I don't think you could go wrong with a 3" 11-87.

Ireplaced that Browning Gold with a Beretta 390 3"from Wal Mart for $500. What a great gun. I have approximately 15Krounds through it (I use it for trap, skeet, and sporting clays), and it is still going, and still looks like new. Never one problem, and it's spent countless hours in the duck blind. It also cycles very light 7/8 ounce target loads every time.

I prefer the gas operation overinertia operation, becauseof the reduction in recoil. TheBeretta's have a greatoperating system, and in my opinion, are thesoftest autoloaders to shoot. Every month or so I tear the gun apart and clean it very well -- takes about a half an hour. I personally don't think the gas autos are too bad to clean.

A very important thing is the fit of the shotgun. I like the Beretta's because they have a shim kid that allows you to adjust the stock for cast and drop. But more importantly, Ihave long arms, and the 14.5" length of pull is perfect for me. The11-87 are either 14 or 14 1/4 -- just a little to short, but a good gunshmith can modify for around $100 or so.... I think the Benelli's also come with a shim kit.

Barrel length is very subjective, but I prefer 28" barrels on my guns, and I can feel the difference between a longer or shorter barrel on a gun. I find thatthe 28'sswing better, and give me a better shooting plane to look down than a 26" or shorter barrel. I find that the 28" is great in the duck blind, but can also be carried well in the pheasant fields and grouse woods.

Go to a gun shop, look over and shoulder as many guns as you can, and purchase the one you like the most. Hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna do what longrifle did... since its what I usually do.

ORIGINAL: BMuzik

In order, No, Yes, Nope, No Way and Not even close.

I like the way longrifle answered this one. Yes and No. There are gas operating systems that work VERY reliably. Such as the orginal 1100 and the 390/391s. The inertia drives do have more felt recoil, and because the guns are light in weight... its even more than normal.

That depends on if you are talking about speed (no) or shooters perception (yes). If you have been shooting a 28" barrel your whole life.. don't switch. That can make a big difference.

I have never seen an 1187 Super Mag shoot everything. Infact I haven't seen many remingtons made lately that shot anything reliably. If you are getting a supermag gun... get it to shoot super mags... don't try and shoot 3 dram shells with it. Thats like running 87 octane in a top fuel dragster.

I would take a hard look at the Stoeger 2000. Also, I'd look even harder at a new Beretta 3901 (statesman or citizen) or a used 391 or 390. Most can be had (esp the 390s) for under $600.

Thanks for time to comment!

Thats what we are here for. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks guys I m starting to see exactly what I need to do. I'm stuck now between the 11-87 and the Beretta Camo...Any of them i guess they are just about the same...
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM

HI, the newer 11 87 supermags come with an extra gas seal that you drop in to shoot light 2 3/4" loads. I have both the supermag and a premier light contour 11 87 and have found them both to be very reliable, even with Gun Club and AA taget loads.My supermag has a 26" barrel and is a real handy field gun,but if the shorter barrel bugs you an extended choke tube is an option.Hope this helps. Good Hunting.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:58 PM

my arsenal of weaponary has a wide varietty of models,i must say that the 1187 priemere thaT I OWN IS the best gun i have.if you r hunting deer you want a candolever barrell and for small game 28 inch barrell is the best for bushytails,the gun is about $750,it is the sweetest all around gun ive ever had.

Quick Reply: Remington 11-87 Help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.