Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

HELP

Old 08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default HELP

I tried shooting my Benelli Super Nova with slugs for the first time. What a disappointment. It was hitting SOO inconsistent. It didn't matter if I was shooting offhand or off of the bench. It would not hit the same way twice. Out of 15 rounds at 50yds, I hit an 8in target twice, once solidly, once I just caught the edge of it. Other times I was hitting more than a foot high and to the Left or Right. I was using Winchester 2 3/4 in slugs.

What am I doing wrong??
Could the type of choke I had in cause this?
Ammo type?

Normally at 50 yds with a rifle off of the bench I can put 6 rounds in an X ring.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Default RE: HELP

First, what is your barrel setup (length, rifled/smooth, what choke if smooth)? And next, what are you using for sights. And you said you were using "Winchester 2 3/4" slugs". Are these rifled slugs, or sabots?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

LR100 is right. Need more info. What slug and are they rifled or not? Is the bbl rifled or smooth and if smooth, what, if anychoke are you using?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

My Benelli has a 26" smooth bore, with full choke, Slugs were Winchesterrifled slugs, hollow point 1 oz slugs.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I only had the fiber optic dot at the barrel 's end.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM

Well, than that is as good as it will probably get with that setup. If you were to switch to a modified choke, and put a scope or red dot of some sort on it, you would probably get acceptable groups. But right now, the cards are just stacked against you.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM

NY,

Switch to a modified or better yet an IC choke. If you don't have them, Buy some Brenneke slugs, they are more forgiving in tight chokes. I shoot the same winchesters out of 3 separate guns that are Improved Cylinder, and get excellent accuracy. For $3.50, it might be worth it to try the remington sluggers also. They seemed to shoot well through a skeet chokeI had on my 20 guage.

KEJ
Old 08-27-2007, 06:24 PM

Same as above, switch toModified or IC choke. For straight up accuracy the best I've used is Federal Tru-Balls, but still opening the choke should help the Winchesters group better.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Well, than that is as good as it will probably get with that setup. If you were to switch to a modified choke, and put a scope or red dot of some sort on it, you would probably get acceptable groups. But right now, the cards are just stacked against you.
My thoughts exactly. Without a paired sight sytem you're essentially still pointing it as a shotgun with shot, not aiming as though it was a rifle. All the pieces, sights, load and choke, need to work in conjunction with each other, not against one another as they are now.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I tried to clean m shotgun and I could not believehow bad it was. is it possible these slugs scored the barrel. I had an unbelievable amount of lead fouling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.