Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700p police sniper rifle

Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Default remington 700p police sniper rifle

Hello im looking at buying a remington 700p police rifle in 300 win mag could anyone give me some information on this rifle as to accuracy, reliability, and anything else that people think i should know about this gun before i buy it.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Default RE: remington 700p police sniper rifle

EXCELLENT RIFLE. I had one in a .308, and My buddy asked me, andI told him to get one in .300. They are a little heavy, but not bad at all. Accuracy is hard to beat. That is, by far, one of the most accurateout of the box, mass produced rifles on the market today. My .308 shot 1/2 groups at 100 regularly (after I had the trigger adjsted down to 2.5 lbs) The .300 is a superb Rifle. You can load it down with 150 grain bullets for deer, and laod up the 180's for bigger game. This gun will shoot more accurate than 95 percent of shooters out there. I scoped mine witha Nikon Scope, and Lance did his with Leupold. We shot Prairie dogs at 600+ meters with both the .308 and .300Win Mag. (more of them were shot at ranges of 300-500. Didn't hit as many at the really long rnages, but the gun will shoot.
I would suggest staying away from a model with the removable Box magazine. Not sure if the .300 has this option, but if it does, STAY AWAY!!! Get the model with the drop plate magazine well. That is an internal magazine that is top loaded through the breach, with a hunged floor plate to unload. The .300 should have a 3-4 round internal, plus one in the pipe if you please.
THe factory trigger on these rifles is pretty hard to beat as well. Lots of guys argue that the accutrigger form Savage is better. I don't really know. The rem trigger is easily adjusted, but i would still have it done by a gunsmith, unless you know what youare doing. I believe that the factory says that their trigger isn't supossed to be set below 3 lbs for liablity reasons, but I will tell you that mine was below that 3 lb mark and never had a safty issue.
There is a reason that more police departments and other government agencies use that rifle for their issue Swat Sniper rifle than any other. It is accurate and reliable. IMHO, this is the best entry level tactical rifle out there. Can make a great accurate hunting rifle. Maybe a bit much for the prairie dogs we shot it at, but for deer and up, it is hard to beat.

hope this helps. Good luck

Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: reddeer04

Hello im looking at buying a remington 700p police rifle in 300 win mag could anyone give me some information on this rifle as to accuracy, reliability, and anything else that people think i should know about this gun before i buy it.
The Remington 700's have a reputation for being quite accurate, and I would suppose they'd make the police sniper version with a little extra care. But I can't swear to this. It SHOULD be as good a rifle as Remington can make.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

i shot the 700PSS i think it was. good shootin rifle. would been better shootin if my buddy didnt abuse the barrel, shoot junk ammo, and put a BSA scope on it. but i shot 22 shell casings pretty regularly at 80yds with it....

if you want to save some cash check out the SPS line. think they even have a tactical version. not sure if you can get it in 300 though. i got a 700 SPS Varmint in 22-250 and shot a couple sub moa groups with it.

looks more like a "sniper rifle" to me.... it my groundhog go getter...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 AM
bigcountry

I have had two of them, and won't own another. I hate the heavy palm swell H-S stock. I am not a big fan of HS stocks. I would rather have a McMillian. Barrel on one so rough, I rebarreled it. The crown was off on that one also, is the other reason I rebarreled it. They shot decent, but not up to my standards. It required 3 fouling shots toshoot well.Before a moose hunt, I shot it one shot every morning for a while at 200 yards. It would always hit 3" high and 2" to the right compared to the groups after 3 shots. So I had to sight it in cold bore. A "police" rifle should not do that.

William Ball on here I believe reworks them. I was going to send it down to him. But sold the other one instead. I hear from him its standard operation for him to reset the headspace, recut the crown and lap the lugs for the police departments in NC.

Do yourself a favor and get a FN SPR. You won't regret it. Finest gun I have shot and reloaded for.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 AM

bigcountry, you are the only person I know that has had a problem like that with them. The Palm swellissue that youhave is personal preferance I won't tell youyou are wrong for not liking it. It's purpose is to help with proper trigger squeeze. The pad, on the tip of your finger iswhat you are suppossed to e squeezing te trigger with. Lotsof guys like to wrap thier finger around the trigger down past the joint, which is techinically not correct. If you canshoot like that, then great then I guess don't change. NO doubt, it happens, and any time you have mass produced rifle, there is the potential for issues. I still stand by itbeing a wonderful rifle. MIne, .308 with 165 Black HIlls Moly Match AMMOright from the box would shoot 1/2 -3/4 inchgroups. After the trigger was done, more often then not, closer to 1/4-1/2 inch. I had, before it was stolen, shot dimes consistantly at 100 yds. I would have to put them dead center on a large orange sticky since by themselvesyou can't hardly see them. I have a jar of coins back home that I shot in California.
Iagree that the FN SPR is a great shooting rifle as well. I have only shot one a couple times. Shoots nice tight little groups too right out of the box. A little more $$$than the Remington.I have even considered it for my next rifle. The shorter model I think would make for a fine pig or dear rifle.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM

Just to let you people know im a aussie so please keep the replys coming. Vollmer i like your replys but i need a few more good reports from others to make me choose this weapon. But im steering towards it though. Are you a sniper or just a member of the sniper association.?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

bigcountry, you are the only person I know that has had a problem like that with them. The Palm swellissue that youhave is personal preferance I won't tell youyou are wrong for not liking it. It's purpose is to help with proper trigger squeeze. The pad, on the tip of your finger iswhat you are suppossed to e squeezing te trigger with. Lotsof guys like to wrap thier finger around the trigger down past the joint, which is techinically not correct. If you canshoot like that, then great then I guess don't change. NO doubt, it happens, and any time you have mass produced rifle, there is the potential for issues. I still stand by itbeing a wonderful rifle. MIne, .308 with 165 Black HIlls Moly Match AMMOright from the box would shoot 1/2 -3/4 inchgroups. After the trigger was done, more often then not, closer to 1/4-1/2 inch. I had, before it was stolen, shot dimes consistantly at 100 yds. I would have to put them dead center on a large orange sticky since by themselvesyou can't hardly see them. I have a jar of coins back home that I shot in California.
Iagree that the FN SPR is a great shooting rifle as well. I have only shot one a couple times. Shoots nice tight little groups too right out of the box. A little more $$$than the Remington.I have even considered it for my next rifle. The shorter model I think would make for a fine pig or dear rifle.
Keep digging, and you will find many complaints on them. The versions I had was 300RUM, and that swell caused issues on a recoiler like that. A 308 is easier to handle

And like you said, its personal preference at that point.

Its a cheap hammer forged barrel, not anything special, and not even out of the custom center. Lets face it, remington doesn't have the best reputation for cold bore shot consistencyand/or smooth barrels.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM

reddeer,
I went though the Army Sniper School about 7 years ago, though I am not currently filling that role anymore. At least not activly for the Army. Maybe in the future again. right now, I have to get my "staff" time working in the BN HQ.
I have had the oppotunity to shoot several of the Rem 700 PSS's both mine and out at the Sheriffs Department I used to use as aa home range in California when I was recruiting. I was friends with the range cadre out there and occassionally hepped teach a couple of their Beginner Sniper classes. A couple days on the range, and Stalks. I have also shot several Sniper Competitions in Florida, and San Diego. By far, the most common rifle there was the Remington 700 PSS, or LTR, and a few M-24's. Many of the others were designed around the Remington 700 action. It has become one of the most widely used actions, or models for an action on the market today. Lots of tactical rifles out there, if you read the specs will say that they are based on the Remington action. There were of course some others, but just not as common. I can't speak on whether these rifles had been accurized.. I am sure that some of them had been. I do know that the Sheriffs Department tha I shot at used them exclusivly for their swat team. The most that their rifles had done was the trigger to take it down lighter. Some guys would have them re-bedded, but that was just preferance.
Because I shot out at the Sherrifs Department, when they got "loaner, or Test Rifles" that companies sent trying to get them to buy theirs, I usually got a call from the guys letting me know. That was nice because it let me shoot several different guns. The only one that I really truely liked better was the Accuracy International, though a super sweet shooting rifle, the run like $5000 for a stripped down entry level model here. Add your accessories and you are over $7000 easily.
I will agree to some point with Bigcountry on the cold bore. Mine shot about an inch low and 1.5 inch to the left for the first shot. Not too big an issue though for most shooting inside of say 300 yds. IF you are going to use it for Hunting big game, you are sitll in the vitals. Though after the initial shot, you should, with enough practice, you can shoot holes touching that original one. Have to use all the proper fundamentals of shooting though. Steady position, proper sight picture, proper trigger squeeze, and good breath control. Mine would do this consistantly. I found with my 700, after the first shot, wherver it might hit, that is where I would aim again. If I did MY part, I shot nice tight little groups. If I aimed at the bullseye again, my shot would be on th ebulls eye. Usually rhe first shot for me was off becuase I hadn't gotten all the way settled in and wasn't using all the fundamentals to the full extent.
There are lots of great accurate"tactical rifles out there. IMHO the remington PSS for the price is really tough to beat. You might have to have some minor stuff done, might not. I reccommend the trigger adjusted by a gunsmith to about 3 lbs. Not sure if they will take it lower for Liabilty reasons. They might, if they know you and are sure of your shooting practices. For me, I found tha tmie shot well with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grn to start with, and then I bought a case of Black Hills Moly 168 Match and that shot even better. Just try several types of ammo till you find the one that your gun really likes.
Hope that this helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the LTR version in .308.

Easily capable of 0.5 MOA and a dream to shoot. No complaints at all. It does have a slightly different version of the HS Precision stock, slimmed down a bit.

Quick Reply: remington 700p police sniper rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.