Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what would you choice be in a ar15 platform

Old 08-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default what would you choice be in a ar15 platform

what brand would you chose
what caliber
what barrel lenth
and would you have a removeable carry arm
Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what would you choice be in a ar15 platform

Now, there's a broad question...

Personally, I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Unless you're a gunsmith, I don't recommend the parts kits. My brother has one and although it was cheap, and was assembled by someone who'd put a couple together before, he's always had issues with it.

I own a Colt and a Rock River. Neither have any problems. The Rock River is newer and in spite of a 16" barrel, shoots right there with the 20" Colt.

Friends tend to recommend Bushmaster and DPMS quite often, though seems I've run into a couple DPMS on the range with strange spring problems and pins falling out. Easy fixes, but something you wouldn't expect to see.

It's a tossup as to whether I'd choose the 20" over the 16" barrel, all else being equal. Really depends on what you intend to do with it? While I'm comfortable with either (rifle or carbine), my wife is MUCH more comfortable with the collapsible stock and its inherent adjustable length of pull. Lots of guys seem to like the M4/CAR15 "look" - maybe it makes them looktougher or something?

Caliber? AR15 hashistorically been .223. I don't think anyone knows how well the 6.8 SPC, not to mention the .45-50 special-purpose cartridges are going to do commercially (ask someone who owns a 5mm Remington Rimfire how much they paid for the last box of ammo). Then there are the AR-10 clones, which can handle all of the .308 family (.243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, ...). And then there's the matter of magazine availability. If you want to hunt with it, you're going to be limited in most states to a 5-round magazine. AR15 (.223) magazines are WIDELY available in 5, 10, 20, and 30-round varieties for less than $20 apiece. Everything else I've seen for the 6.8 SPC, .45-50s, and the AR-10s have been twice that or more. So, though I can't hunt deer with it legally, I can still hunt turkeys and varmints - and I'd still choose the .223/5.56mm NATO.

Removable carry arm? I'm assuming that you're referring to the rear sight assembly and whether it be fixed or detachable/rail mounted? (and I hope your drill sergeant never hears you call it a carry handle, let alone sees you carry it that way). It's lots easier to mount a scope to the rail, rather than sit one way up on top of the fixed version. I'd take the detachable rear sights.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for the help i know some about the rifles i have had to bushmasters in .223 . and am looking at buy myself one again but in a larger caliber so i can hunt with it in ky

Removable carry arm? I'm assuming that you're referring to the rear sight assembly and whether it be fixed or detachable/rail mounted? (and I hope your drill sergeant never hears you call it a carry handle, let alone sees you carry it that way). It's lots easier to mount a scope to the rail, rather than sit one way up on top of the fixed version. I'd take the detachable rear sights.

in my defense i was not lucky to get to join the armed services as i had cancer as a kid and was turned down after 9/11 so i know only the civlian talk i have always been told it was a carry handel and that is what it says on bushmaster webpage http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/9349063-9.asp

but i will from now on refer to it as a sight i never carryed mine in that way always had my hand on the grip and my left hand on the front side on the nag area and pointed it downward but thanks again
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you probably need to look at one of the AR10-clones in that case? Not sure what the requirements are in KY, but in WY, minimum legal caliber is .243 for big game.

Seems one of the manufacturers was also making these in the WSM calibers. Think it might have been DPMS?

But, for what one can pay for these things (you're probably looking at an easy $1000 or more), you can buy an awfully fine bolt gun in any number of calibers.

Lots of people call it the "carrying handle". It just seems highly undignified to carry a rifle the same way you would a .... briefcase.