Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New rifle

Old 08-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default New rifle

hey guys goin to cabelas tomorrow to buy a new rifle. I would like an all around gun for big game. I don't want to spend more than 1000 for gun and scope so I was hoping i could geta good idea of what gun caliber and scope to get. Spend my money!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New rifle

what are you going to hunt?If your hunting includes elk or moose,I would go with a remington 700sps im 7mmremmag with a bushnell 3x9x40 elite 3200.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, tell us a little more............You said "big game".......Does it include big bears, elk, moose, or deer-sized critters only? There are so many choices available that we need specifics. I hope you realize that almost everyone on here will be more than happy to dish out their personal likes/dislikes and wish lists..
Personally, if I was hunting big bear, I would carry a 338 as minimum. Great elk and moose medicine too, and i have to admit I've even killed a couple of whitetails with it when my go-to deer gun wasn't available.
The 7-08 is gaining quite a following as an efficient deer rifle, but many others will fill that bill also. The old 30-06 is a proven workhorse for almost all NA big game hunting, with maybe the exception of the largest bears.
As far as a scope goes, I'm pretty much a hard-core Leupold fan. Nearly all my hunting guns wear Leupys, with a few Redfields and a Weaver or two.
Whatever you choose, do the best you can to go first class with your equipment. It will be money well-spent in the long run.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a rifle, I'd assume you want a bolt action, you can't go wrong with a Ruger M77, Savage, Tikka, Browning, Remington 700.

For a scope, that depends on how much you spend on the rifle. I'd say a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 ($300). If you want more power check into the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 (289-300).
Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag topped off with a Zeiss 3x9x40 Conquest ought to use most of that $1000.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:17 AM

Remington"s are very nice firearms as well as a Browning ABolt,but new prices can be a little much with a scope purchace.A nice rifle for around 600-800 Bucks is a Tikka whitetail hunter and comesin .223 thru .338 calibers with euro walnut monte carlo {fancy} blacksynthetic or laminated stocks.A fine choice for the working man on a budget,and again,a Leupold is a scope that has an unmatched reputation
Old 08-26-2007, 12:36 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

hey guys goin to cabelas tomorrow to buy a new rifle. I would like an all around gun for big game. I don't want to spend more than 1000 for gun and scope so I was hoping i could geta good idea of what gun caliber and scope to get. Spend my money!

No thanks.
Good luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

i'm going to be using the riflefor all around big game hunting... so I want to be prepared to take down anything that I might want to hunt in the futute including moose grizzly etc...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 AM

Hope you get this before you leave.
Go with the Remmington 700 SPS in stainless. Top it with a Nikon Monarch in whatever power you need in .300 Winchester Mag and you will have the dream rig of a lifetime.
You'll be shooting 1" groups at 200 yards with a 180gr bullet that will easily handle all of the game you mentioned. I use it for everything from Lopes to Moose. I would not hesitate grizz either, they just don't let us shoot them here.

The US Gov't sniper schools use the Remington 700 action in almost all of their sniper rifles. Mostly .308 and .300 WM! The .300 WM ammo is in every store on the planet which is good, and the Nikon optics are so superior to other scopes in it's price range that you will never go back to whoever. Cabelas should have a rifle stock that they can put 2 scopes on at a time so you can A/B them. Put the Monarch on with a Leupold and be prepared to have your mind blown.

Also, pick up two ofthese rigsand drop one off at my house will ya?!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 AM

What I think you need to do is get a T/C Encore with one barrel as a 'standard' cartridge, and another barrel for a big magnum. Get the gun as a standard cartridge first, and if the day comes you hunt anything tougher than moose, get a bbl fora 338+ sized cartridge. The great thing about the encore is a new barrel will run you about $250, not$700 like another nice bolt gun.My personal choices in caliber would be asomewhere in the 280 Remington-30-06 or 7 mag areafor antelope to moose, and338-375 for big bears. There isn't one good choice that will work ideally from antelope through kodiak bears You're just gonna have to get two guns.

Quick Reply: New rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.