Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.5-284

Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 6.5-284

Yep...Now that there's a bean field gun!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

I've yet to shoot anything larger than a whitetail with mine. It drops them like a bad habit.

My father has shot Red Stag, Himalayan Tar, & Kudu with no problems. All of those are very similar to Elk in size.Dad claims it is the perfect rifle. Light recoil and quick kills.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Double, I think its between you gun and an HS. Now I relize their two different animals with one being composite and the other wood but Ive gotta say that is one fine liiking rifle you have. ABSOLUTELY AN AWESOME RIFLE!!!!!!!!!!! Ill be ordering one from someone this spring. I settled on a 6.5-284 forsure.

Jason
Old 08-27-2007, 10:44 PM

I am looking at buying a new Savage in this presice caliber because of high BC rates, and high sectional dencity rates of 6.5mm bullets...Which directly relate to flat shooting and penitration on animals... As far as killing moose and elk with it there really is know problem, because of the accuracy and modist recoil you can place your shot very easy and it is comparible to 270 WIN ,but on a short and stiffer action wich will not only increace your accuracy but also cut weight... It's a win win sittuation. Have one made for yourself and you will most likely never look back...
LOVE the 6.5mm cal...Have a 264 WIN Mag and it's one of my most accurate Rifles I own!!!
Hope to hear how you make out with your custom rifle...(GOOD CHOICE OF CALIBER)!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 PM

Hay brother!! You nailed it right on the head with your comment .... Oh by the way I try not to covit another man possessions, But man is that ever one nice piece of shooting artillery
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! You helped to concrete my decision on this caliber. I love the BC and SD of the 6.5 cal. Ive yet to hear any complain about this round. I hope to start a build sometime in the spring.Again thanks!!!!

Jay
Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: bigger is better

,but on a short and stiffer action wich will not only increace your accuracy but also cut weight......(GOOD CHOICE OF CALIBER)!!!
Whoa Now! Not necessarilly true. Granted The 6.5-284 is considered a "short Action" round, but to truely reap the benefits I suggest you build it on a long action.

My father built his on a short action and regets it. To shoot the High BC/SD 140's the bullet is very long. If you seat them out close to the lands The Over All length gets long. You want to do this for two reasons: 1 better accuracy & 2 seating shorter encroaches on the powder colum and increases the possibility of a compressed load.

So If you seat the bullets out it makes the use of the magazine on a Short action useless. You if you want a Repeater the best solution is to use a long action. Beside the Stiffness and weight issues are BS IMHO. A long action weighs something like 4 oz more.

I built mine on a standard long action Rem 700 (original rifle was 270) I can load my rounds with 140's .010" off the lands (where accuracy was the best) and utilize my magazine without any problems. Just food for thought.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man the prices have really shot up, I had a couple of 308 silhouette rifles built on 700 actions by a PA gunsmith for about 450 each plus my action,but that was 27 years ago.