Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying my first deer rifle

Old 08-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Buying my first deer rifle

Basically I'm gearing up towards this next deer season (yes i know it may be a little early but what the heck) and I'm about to buy my first deer rifle. When I say mine I mean I already have a couple but this is the first out of my pocket (I'm 17) and will only be used by me hunting. The problem is that i'm a southpaw. Most rifle companies have little or no inventory of left handed guns but I came upon savage with their accutrigger. I have narrowed my choice to the 10/110GLXP package rifle. I just want to ask if there is anything wrong or bad with this rifle that I picked out. Basically I'm looking for a left handed gun, wood stock(not shiny finish), shoots a .308, and is something I can afford.

heres a link to the gun http://www.savagearms.com/10glxp3.htm

Thanks,
Will
Old 08-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying my first deer rifle

I've used Savages for years. Inexpensive, dependable guns.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:49 PM

You might want to look into the hunter line, models 11F (synthetic) and 11G (wood). I think they are a bit cheaper.

Either way, nice guns for the money. Too bad they don't make the stevens 200 in left handed version, what a crock.

Paul
Old 08-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Paul, My only concern about buying an 11GL is that I'm not sure whether is has a glossy finish. I own a Browning A-5 and my dad has two and the finishes are too glossy for my taste. If they are a dull finish I would much rather get one and then buy a nicer scope.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 PM

Nothing wrong with the Savage model 10/110. Very functional,maybe a little ugly, but good guns for sure.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the accu trigger! Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

If you are heart set on a bolt gun then that is the one to get. If you are looking for a really inexpensive first gun then look into the NEF single shots. They are nothing really to look at but are good shooters. It would be easy to use for a lefty. Simply by switching the hammer extention over to the left side. You can also send your reicever back to the factory and other calibers made for it. Say you buy a 308 and want a .223 for coyotes, it can be done, for 100 bucks.
Most of us guys that own them ...love them.
Just my thoughts....
Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 AM

Hey I bought that same gun you have on that link. It was a package scope,rifle, and rings for 550 dollars.I took it to the rang yesterday and its a shooter. I got the .243 the only thing is Im going to replace is that Simmons scope on it.I dont think the model 10GLXP3 is ugly.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:34 AM

I think if had it to do over again over. I would of bought the model 11 and added my own scope and rings. The model 11 is diffrent from the model 10 your speaking of. Check it out also.The Remington 700 is a great rifle also but, your looking at lot more money.I like my Savage,they are a good built rifle,nice trigger also.Good luck.Keep us posted on what u get.That model 10 Savage is a nice rifle, it will give you lots of years of service.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:43 AM

First deer rifle. Not sure if you already hava cliber in mind, but there are a buinch of good ones out there. Everybody ight tell you something different, but I am sure that it will most likely come down to .243, .270, .308 or maybe 30.06. Just a matter of preference. All will kill dear effectivly. You will get better input from some of these other guys on caliber.
As for the left handed thing I really understand that, beter than most. I am a left handed shooter as well. Actually, I shoot both, extreamly well, though I have gotten to where I prefer to shoot lefty. My suggestion would be to get a right handed Bolt Action. This comes from experience as an Army Sniper. If you are shooting deer, or anything else, and you are shooting form some sort of rest... ie, ..... a branch, a bibod, a backback, whatever, as a left hadned shooter, and a right handed bolt, you will never have to take your hand off the trigger for that follow up shotshould you ever need it. you can stay right on stock with your cheek, cycle the bolt with your right (non-firing hand) keeping your finger on the trigger for that fast follow up. getting back on i\target , or keeping the target in the crosshair is harder to do, if you have to come off the stock to cycle the bolt. This might not work for you, but, it does, work better for me. Give it a try, and think about it. Might take a day at the range to get used to.
Depending on the rifle, if you go with a semi, you might be OK. Just depends on how it ejects the brass.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Quick Reply: Buying my first deer rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.