Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun rusting terribly- Browning BPS

Old 08-17-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Shotgun rusting terribly- Browning BPS

Hello, this is my first post. I have a Browning BPS Invector field model 10 gauge that will NOT stop rusting. I clean my guns all the time and this one is the only one that has given me trouble. I never take it out in the rain or have gotten it soaked. I have used everything in my cleaning kit for it. Hasn't worked. The whole barrel is getting rusted and the ousides of my receiver. The inside of the gun is clean as can be but the outside is getting to me. Please give me some suggestions on what to do or any solvents that take care of the problem. I have 13 guns: rifles and shotguns, and they give me no trouble, only the browning.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 PM
H2K

Default RE: Shotgun rusting terribly- Browning BPS

Sorry to hear your having troubles with the Browning. I've removed rust on fine guns with #0000 steel wool and a good quality oil such as 3-in-1 or the like. Make sure you use the oil liberally or the dry steel wool contacting thesteel may have a detrimental effect the bluing. It will remove the rust though and if it was bad enough to cause pitting, it will now show. If you're going to store them long term RIG (rust inhibitive grease) may be the best option. It'll have to be applied thick covering the surface.

If you're going to be handling them from time to time, or checking on it periodically (monthly) you may want to use something with less mess. I use Birchwood-Casey"Sheath" products ( now marketed as "Barricade"), you can buy the 10 oz. spray can or the "industrial" strength stuff.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Here's a fewlinks with info...

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...amp;prodcat=75

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/rust/index.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=496433

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, welcome!! Lots of knowledge and advice here. I think I would call a Browning rep and find out if they have been experiencing any other problems such as yours. Years ago, I had two Ruger No. 1's that were rusting the action severely. I found out that they had inadvertantly got a bad lot of stock wood that contained corrosive salts of some sort. I sent the guns to the factory, and they either remilled the actions or restamped new ones with my old serial nos., and sent me new stocks for them, no charge. You might want to check it out. It could be a corrosion problem similar to what I had, but of a different nature.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Are you storing it in one of those foam lined gun cases? If so, some of them have a tendency to hold moisture and wick the oil away from the metal.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: offroadTRD

Hello, this is my first post. I have a Browning BPS Invector field model 10 gauge that will NOT stop rusting. I clean my guns all the time and this one is the only one that has given me trouble. I never take it out in the rain or have gotten it soaked. I have used everything in my cleaning kit for it. Hasn't worked. The whole barrel is getting rusted and the ousides of my receiver. The inside of the gun is clean as can be but the outside is getting to me. Please give me some suggestions on what to do or any solvents that take care of the problem. I have 13 guns: rifles and shotguns, and they give me no trouble, only the browning.
Salt wood, maybe?? Just a thought......