Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: useing self loaded ammo for self defense

If you need to worry about what ammo you are using, you might be better off rethinking the circumstances under which you will use deadly force.
A clean shoot is a clean shoot no matter what weapon or ammo you use.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: using self loaded ammo for self defense

When someone is breaking into your house or attacks you, is not the time to decide what load to use or why. The time to do this is before there is any need for the weapon. Set everything up to stack all the odds you can in your favor to begin with. Learning from past error, ours or someone Else's is what is supposed to set us apart from the other animals that ability should be utilized.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

THE MORAL: no, you will probably not get prosecuted and or face jail time over a handload. the issue remains if you kill the guy, the family can take you to court for wrongful death. And alot of families will depsite their loved one being the criminal, illegally in your house, maybe even armed. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOU WILL FARE BETTER IN CIVIL COURT IF YOU CARRY THE SAME AMMO AS YOUR LOCAL POLICE. A good attorney in a civil case will make issue of a handload. Some of you think that is total BS, and that is fine. Me, I will play it safe and not worry about it.
[/b]

Now I'm worried!My self-defense load is 1.5 oz. of No. 2 shot in a12-ga. pump shotgun. Since a load of shot of any size from a 12-ga. is pretty devastating at indoor distances, I fear that some lawyer might assume I chose it because of that fact. Rather than because buckshot, slugs, or indeed bullets from a .45 ACP (which is what the local cops use)might tend to endanger the neigborhood more.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 AM

Nobody here is arguing shooting the guy. And not everybodyis going to carry a shotgun outside the house for protection.
For me, Factory ammo for carry and personal defense. That is the advice I got from the range cadre at the local Sherriffs Department. The same guys that teach the CCW course required by the County Sheriff. Also reccommended on the side of caution by my buddy with the ATF.NOTE: not legally required, but a good idea in some states, or locals. Lets face it, there are alot of places that are not gun friendly what so ever. Sure, to us gun owners, a dead bad guy is dead, whether you shot him with handload, factory, or some custom stuff the guy at the flea market made. But admit it, we have all had conversations at least once with somebody that really doesn't understand guns, and shooting, and somebody has given you that look or made some comment about being militia guys, or some crazy gun nutbecause you make your own bullets. They could care less that you do it to make something specific for your gun, or to save money...etc

Carry what you want, you won't go to jail over it. Probably won't even come into question with the police. And if it does come up in court, well, then take that chance if you want to. To the guy who started the thread, well, you've heard both sides of the gamlet here.I've given my advice based on the places that I used to live, in California, everybodyelse has given advice for where they live...Do it, don't do it, who cares... Truthfully, call your local Sheriff's Department, or Police and ask them what they suggest, or what the LAW says in your area.

Best of Luck
Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very well said. Why take a chance that you just don't need to take. Because of reloader, the factory ammo has had to step up their quality and they do lots of research into what works well. I say take advantage of it.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: James B

Very well said. Why take a chance that you just don't need to take. Because of reloader, the factory ammo has had to step up their quality and they do lots of research into what works well. I say take advantage of it.
I'd take advantage of it if it wasn't so expensive, and getting worse... My stepson and I shoot competitions most weekends. Sometimes Saturday and Sunday. That can run up to 1200 rounds a month. It's expensive enough even with reloads... Again, if you're within SAAMI specs, where is the argument that you're "reloading extra deadly rounds..."

I wonder... Am I subject to special scrutiny because I shoot pistol matches? Am I "practicing to kill people"? Am I expected to be more of a marksman? Maybe I could have shot the gun out of his hand since I practice so much? I'm a black belt... Maybe I should have just kicked the gun out of his hand. Maybe I could just focus my chi and will him into dropping it, kind like Obi-Wan or Yoda... Fortunately, I live in Texas, where scoundrels are rarely rewarded...
Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 PM

IPSCSHOOTER:
you are one of the lucky ones here that live in a GUN FRIENDLY state. not everybody here has that luxory.

Factory ammo: you only need to buy that one box for home protection and carry. I shoot the heck out of handloads on the range too, but I keep that one box of factory for carry and protection.

As far as practicing to kill people. I guess that depends on who sees you and what they think you are doing. To all us guys that like to shoot, you are just getting better atyour sport ass a competitive shooter. To somebody that doesnt like guns.....well, you do the math.You know, if you shoot somebody, even in self defense, that there just might be somebody that says that they saw you at the range "practicing". We have all probably had the "why do you shoot guns" conversation with at least one person out there, and some are way more adament that others. Hopefully, none of us ever has to find out first hand.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

IPSCSHOOTER:
you are one of the lucky ones here that live in a GUN FRIENDLY state. not everybody here has that luxory.

Factory ammo: you only need to buy that one box for home protection and carry. I shoot the heck out of handloads on the range too, but I keep that one box of factory for carry and protection.
I have developed a load that functions flawlessly in both my P14's. I've had boxes of factory ammo that I'd get several jams per box, but my reloads NEVER jam. If my life was on the line... I'd much rather have ammo that works every time. And, like I've said,my loads are well within SAAMI specs, and lighter than most factory ammo, and I can prove it with a chronograph...
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM

By all means use the hand loads. Not telling you not to. And please don't take my opinion that you are wrong for doing it.For me, I will carry factory, just based on the advice I have gotten from the LE field based on the localities that I have lived in. Solid arguements can be made both ways for sure. lets put them out there and folks can decide for themselves.
As far as Rifle ammo, I am with you. I have not had a single problem with my handloads. No misfire...etc. You are hard pressed to find factory rifle ammo in my house for the same reasons you listed for pistol.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was stunned at how small of a variation can make a huge difference in reliability. My first time out with my 2nd P14, I used reloads that had been working fine in my first P14. In the 2nd one, it seemed like almost every other round jammed. One of the other guys took a look at my ammo, and said "these look a little long". They miked out at 1.25". I changed my reloads to 1.246" and haven't had a single jam since. 4/1000's of an inch!

Haha.. thinking about that... I recall saying in another thread that a deer isn't going to feel the difference of 14/1000's between a "wimpy" .243 Win. and a "Hammer of Thor" .257 Roberts... Maybe those "thousandths" make a big difference after all...

Quick Reply: useing self loaded ammo for self defense

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.