Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WD40 for Firearms

Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WD40 for Firearms

I put WD-40 on my gun back in March, andit's still been in the safe the whole time, is the gun now ruined?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

remember the "wd" in wd-40 stands for water displacement. ive been told its got a bunch of alcohol in it. might be good for a quick wipe if you have nothing in your truck at the time but for long term i would get a good quality gun oil.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

i wouldnt use it

Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know there are more specialized gun oil products out there, but I've used WD 40 on some of my guns on occasion, and have yet to experience any of the horror stories told here. Granted, a good gun oil is best for rust protection, but I see nothung wrong with occasional use of this stuff, myself.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

PAWildman hit it on the head. WD is not great, but not nearly as bad as some would like you to believe.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun308

I put WD-40 on my gun back in March, andit's still been in the safe the whole time, is the gun now ruined?

no.
As a kid growing up I didnt know any better, i used wd-40 all the time and never had one problem. Hell now days if theres nothing left I still use it.
But as others have said theres better stuff, but it wont harm anything, I would rather use it than nohing.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

its good for the time being, but once it gets cold, it will swell almost, it will attract dirt, and eventually it will just crap out on you. all in all, i would say that if your just looking for a quick fix, go for it, but if you have the time to do a complete cleaning job, deffinitely do that.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

I'll have totake a different path than most of you. Been using WD-40 on the exterior metal of my firearms for 20 years with no problems.Try this test, take 2 pieces of scrap metal and hit them with a wire brush or grinder to get them shiny.Putyour favorite gun oil on one and WD-40 on the other. Then put them outside in the elements for a couple of days. If no rain is in the forecast then hit them with the sprinkler. After a couple of days see which one has more rust on it.

[/align]
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

I'll have totake a different path than most of you. Been using WD-40 on the exterior metal of my firearms for 20 years with no problems.Try this test, take 2 pieces of scrap metal and hit them with a wire brush or grinder to get them shiny.Putyour favorite gun oil on one and WD-40 on the other. Then put them outside in the elements for a couple of days. If no rain is in the forecast then hit them with the sprinkler. After a couple of days see which one has more rust on it.

[/align]
I have tried it and WD failed miserably. It was a base to a drill press. It was all the time rusting. So I hit one side with WD, and one side with remoil, the cheapest, and thinnest of all oils. The remoil never did rust, the WD did. Shooters Choice is what I like best of all.

Your not going to find too many machinist, watch makers, clock makers, or anyone that needs long term lubercation recommend WD40 for thier trade. I used to see folks all the time in the duck blind hitting thier semi auto shotguns with wD. And they actually wondered why they jammed. I only use dry lube in the action of my gas shotguns. I wipe out all oils. I have yet to have a jam with this procedure.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:24 PM

I'll admit to using it on the exterior of some of my guns to protect the metal from the weather. I sprayed down a rag and wiped the weapon down. I never put it on the working parts of a weapon because I think WD40 is something of a dust magnet. The only thing for working parts is Break-Free or Shooter's.

Quick Reply: WD40 for Firearms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.