Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need to find a .22 that shoots S,L,LR

Old 08-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need to find a .22 that shoots S,L,LR

I've been trying to find a .22 rifle that will take S,L, or LR that isn't a singleshot or a bolt action.

If anyone knows of one please post it. It doesn't matter if it's a current model or an old one I just need some ideas on what to look for.

It just needs to be lever, pump or ?? that will take S,L or LR. It could actually be a bolt action if it's tube fed.

So far the best I think I've found is the Ithaca M-49(?) lever gun. But they are kinda spendy. I have one in .22 mag and I love it.

I just need it for a pest gun so the cheaper the better.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 AM

Default RE: Need to find a .22 that shoots S,L,LR

http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/981T.aspxhere is a good one my friend has it and its accurate and it meets all that you wanted
Old 08-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Marlin's line. I know they got a few lever actions that will fit what you are looking for. My dad has got one of them (not sure which) and he loves it. I'm not really a fan of the lever, but it is a good shooter.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Remington 572 pump
Old 08-12-2007, 10:28 AM

Any lever action will do it, henry or marlin take your pick. Most bolt actions should do it as well, even if they are clip fed, but a tube might be better.

Are you wanting to mix ammo or just be able to shoot different length shells when you want to? Any bolt action or auto can be loaded manually. I used to shoot shorts out of my model 60 all the time. It just won't cycle the action is all.

I really think a nice lever gun is the way to go for what you want though. I owned a henry and it was real nice for the money. My dad has had a Marlin for ever (40 plus years) and it still shoots great, it's the gun I learned to shoot with.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Most 22's built in the 1960's or were earlier built to handle S, L or LR and marked that way on the barrel. Actually the more I think about, I can't think of any reason that a new 22 can't shoot both(short or LR). You will not find any 22 Long ammo on the market, it hasn't been made in a very long time.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 552 Speedmaster...Its a semi auto...I bought mine in 1961.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Fork Horn

a browning BL-22 lever action, ive owned one since i was 10 and its my fav. 22 to this day. very high quality
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

How stupid of me I didn't even think of Marlin. They have several that would fit the bill and they look like pretty good quality as well. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Any lever action will do it, henry or marlin take your pick. Most bolt actions should do it as well, even if they are clip fed, but a tube might be better.

Are you wanting to mix ammo or just be able to shoot different length shells when you want to? Any bolt action or auto can be loaded manually. I used to shoot shorts out of my model 60 all the time. It just won't cycle the action is all.
Yeah for shooting stuff in town I need to be able to mix and match shorts and LR shotshells and be able to rapid fire.

That's why a semi-auto is basically ruled out as well as anything clip fed.

I'd like a nice lever gun but some of them are damn expensive.

Quick Reply: Need to find a .22 that shoots S,L,LR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.