Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Model7 .243 convinced me to start reloading

I have a TC Encore that won't shoot a factory load under 2"... my handloads got it down to half that, and coupled with an oversize hingepin, at nearly 1/2".

Now its back to its old tricks again. Shot it two weeks ago... even the handloads won't produce... come to find out... the butt stock is cracked, and the screw that holds it on is loose because of it. I suspect that might have been the culprit....

If your rifle is shooting 6" groups, than something is bad wrong. Much worse than just the ammunition. Something could have come loose, or broken. Maybe (and everyone does it), you are just getting frustrated, and that makes you shoot poorly, even from a solid rest, you can pull shots pretty bad if you get mad enough at what you are doing.

It is true though, that handloads, and handloading can almost always make a gun that seemed to be hexed shoot like a nailer. And it may well be a combination of things too, so check everything out twice... even the action screws.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Typical Buck

i have a winchester 70 ranger youth in 243 that will not shoot the 100 corelokt. try 80 psp corelokt they will shoot great in my 243.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

"but is it common for factory ammo to shoot so poorly sometimes?"

Each gun is an individual, and what one will shoot another will not. Obviously factory ammo is a compromise. They do their best (usually!!), but often that is not going to work in your rifle. No matter how good factory ammo becomes, it cannot be a custom fit to every rifle. That's why factory ammo will never replace good handloads when ultimate performance is the goal. You don't see the benchrest boys using factory-loaded ammo!

I have never gotten decent accuracy from Remington factory .243 ammo, or fromRem. .22 Hornet stuff either. But I have had some very fine accuracy from Rem. Corelokt BULLETS in some of my handloads.