Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

see thru scope rings

Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shoot thru scope rings

2-7x scope.

Its better than irons up close and has plenty of magnification for hunting deer at sane distances.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: see thru scope rings

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Do yurself a favor and just forget about those things. They are a total piece of junk, and have no business being on a gun. If you want to hunt with a scope, get one that you are comfortable with in close encounter situations, and PRACTICE with it. As was said before, you want to keep the line of sight as close to the bore as possible. If the scope is too much for you to deal with in your situation, I would reccomend you stick with open sights. You just plain don't have enough time to think about what sight you are going to use at crunch time.
WELL SAID; EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

Does anyone use see thru scope rings? If so, which ones do you use? I'm thinking about getting a Marlin 308MXLR and I want to keep the iron sights.
I don't know that your idea is so off-track. I think high see-thru rings are worth considering, although I don't know of any that will stay put under heavy recoil. I have high, see-thru rings onmy Savage.22 LR sporter rifle, which, of course, is a whole other thing than a Marlin 308MXLR. I shoot standard velocity rimfire ammo, and with a high scope, my point blank range for squirrel hunting is from 25 to 65 yards (sighted in at 50 yards). Any closer and the gun will shoot low compared to the scoped sight picture, so I have my iron sights set on the lowest setting for those very close, quick-access targets, (inside 25 yards) including moving targets.

Although theballistic numbers will be very,verydifferent between a .22 LR and a .308, it seems to me that the same principles apply. Sighted in at 200 yards, for example, a 170 grain bullet traveling at 2785 ft/sec will range from 1.88" high at 110 yards to 3.18" low at 250 yards. That's about a 5" window, for a point blank range of 250 yards.Of course that's not good enough for bullseye competition. With the scope up that high, you won't be able to hit the "X" ring, except at two points along the trajectory, but you will be able to kill a deer(or whatever) all the way out to 250 yards without compensating for drop. If you can manage to find a set ofrings that won't slide, you can always look through the iron sights for those close-up shots.

The only problem? I doubt that a high-powered rifle would hold zero with any see-thru rings I have seen. Even with my .22 LR, I had to use lok-tite to keep my high rings in place. Thankfully, after a couple of slips during the first couple ofmonths,my cheapo ringshaven't moved in over a year.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Does anyone use see thru scope rings?"

Hellno, and I'll tell you WHY. 1 The scope is your PRIMARY sight. It needs to be optimally placed, where you can see thru it easily w/o having to crane your neck into painful, un-natural poses to use it.

2. The vast majority of those see-thru abortions are very weak, and easily knocked out of alignment when you are in rough terrain. Except for the German ones, which are very stout, but put the scope even farther away from the comb of the stock!

In 50 years of hunting in the U.S., Germany, Korea, and Alaska, I have NEVER had to use an iron sight when I had a scope on the gun. On my dangerous-game rifles, I always used an instantly-detachable mount like the Paul Jaeger type, so if I needed the irons, I could jerk the scope off before getting stomped in time to aim with the auxiliary sight. Never needed to, though.............

Leave those see thru mounts at the gun shop!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

I have never liked them because it puts the scope to high above the bore.
That and one of the weakest scope mounts a person could waste thier money on. If one needs see thrus, they got way too high powered scope on thier gun.
okay so here is my dilemma. I want sighting system that is good for both long range shots and short range shots on moving deer. I currently own a Leupold 3-9x scope and even with the scope turned all the way down, I still have trouble finding the deer in my scope (I've actually lost 3 large deer in the past 3 years because of this). I don't think it's the power, I think its more of the fact that I grew up using open sights and in the heat of the moment, when a large buck is bearing down on me, open sights would be the optimum choice. But I don't want to give up the long range accuracy of a scope either. That's why see thru's seemed to be the most logical choice. I would hope there would be some on the market that would good enough
Fellow, that's no dillema at all! I shot my last bull elk at about 35 yards, with a fixed-power 6X scope on my single-shot Ruger N0.1B rifle, which has no other sights at all! No sweat!

For close shooting, turn your scope down to 3X, then practice KEEPING BOTH EYES OPEN AS YOU POINT THE GUN until you have located the targetin the scope. This will make it possible for you to snap the scope onto the target instantly as long as both eyes are open. If it takes a little practice, so what! You'll eventually get to where you can snap a shot thru a flying sparrow at 25 yards, even with the scope on a higher magnification! Save the 9X setting for game standing in the shadows beyond 300 yards!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the replies everyone, I got similar responses on another forum (marlinowners.com). Now that I think about it, I'm gonna get some QD Leupold scope mounts. For a given situation, I'll be able to change from a scope to open sites when I want. Again, thanks everyone.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can see on paper where the down side of these could be true. However I have never had any problem with them at all. I do not use them very much but I have used them at times on rifles that needed extra high scope rings to clear external hammers. I also like scopes mounted as high as I can within reason. I use High or extra high rings on everything. I am just not comfortable with my head down real low. Its a personal thing I guess But I have never found that once properly mounted, that they would not hold a zero. Most of my rifles have either High Weaver quad rings or Millet High wind age adjustable rings. I do not like the Redfield/Leupold rings at all. I change rifles and scopes to much for the hassle.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Though you state that you have already made you decision I have to come to the defence of see through scope rings. I have Kwiks on my ML and they have worked for years without loosing zero. There have been times when I have left the stand to go on a walk about just to stretch the legs. I hunt fairly deep in the bush, esp. during ML season and have had the situation where I have walked into (or the deer walked into me) and have been able to use the irons very effectively. Being a bit older (I think the eyes are starting to go) so from the stand I use the 4x scope. The scope is also nice to have during low light conditions. I also have kwiks on my 7mm mag to give clearance for the 40mm scope. They have taken the pounding of the 7mm mag and not lost zero. Perhaps this is an abnormality but I can only speak to my situation. I have never had a difficulty bringing the eye to the scope with it raised and it dosen't feel like an unnatural position to me. I practise a lot(not only from a bench but from many shooting positions) so I believe this has made me become very familiar with my rig.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:20 AM
OGW

ORIGINAL: eldeguello
...practice KEEPING BOTH EYES OPEN AS YOU POINT THE GUN until you have located the targetin the scope. This will make it possible for you to snap the scope onto the target instantly as long as both eyes are open...
Very Practical Advice!

Even though I have See-thru's on my 30-30 I've never used them when I could have. Honestly I simply dont remember that thier even there when aiming and have never had a problem getting on target. I've used the advice above for years and it definitely works.
For whatever reason I tried the See-thru'sI'm not using them for what thier intended thats for sure.
Right or Wrong...I've always been told that if you can bring the rifle up to your shoulder with your eyes closed and when you open them your primary sighting system is as close to or exactly where it needs to be...the rifle is setup the way it should be for you.
The See-thru mountsdo that for me with my 30-30 and so far they have never lost Zero over the years they have been on the rifle.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always been told that if you can bring the rifle up to your shoulder with your eyes closed and when you open them your primary sighting system is as close to or exactly where it needs to be...the rifle is setup the way it should be for you.

I consider this to be correct.

and so far they have never lost Zero over the years they have been on the rifle.

I believe you are fortunate about this. Perhaps you handle your rifle carefully!

Quick Reply: see thru scope rings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.