Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Scope for TC Pro hunter 30/06

Old 08-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Which Scope for TC Pro hunter 30/06

I have just purchased a new TC Pro Hunter in a 30/06 and need to purchase a scope that compliments the rife ... I hunt in western Kentucky where most of my shots will be 100 yards or less ... I am looking for suggestions as to which scope and what powerto purchase ... I love the Zeiss Conquest or the Leaupold ....you guys got any suggestions...also if you have a nice clean used scope that you might like to part with at a reasonable price let me know ..

dd
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Scope for TC Pro hunter 30/06

DD - I just put a Zeiss Conquest on my TC Pro Hunter 7-08 last week. I don't have much field use with it yet, but I am printing some very tiny 1 hole groups with it. I do, however, think that my Leupold VXIIs are a little better in low light. I had my 4-12x40 VXII and my 3-9x40 VXII on hand for a side-by-side-by-side comparison.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

So Rammer if you could only use one for deer hunting ....in a wooded area not so much food plots ...which would you pick?

dd
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

DD - I can't help ya with the wooded area part. Where I live there aren't any trees, its all wide open flatground. If you aren't in a big rush to purchase I can do some more side-by-side comparing in the next few evenings, as I've been watching a 160class buck every evening. See which set of crosshairs makes him look the best.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM

I have a Leupold MK4, and I am not the least bit impressed with it. I bought it stritly on reputation. I have ne er used the Zeiss, but I have several friends that have them and love them. For the money, I had a Nikon on my .308 and would rather have that back than the Leupold that I have now. I had shot my rifle maybe 4-5 times and a piece of the reticle came lose from the large post. I even had it looked at by a gunsmith at the local Sheriffs Dept Range, and he said the same thing I did. I called the comapny and they said that wasn't possible. Funny thing was that the piece of "dirt or dust" was the same size, and prefect shape as the post. They had me send it to them and still swear that there was not a piece of reticle loose. i will say that their customer service, as far as having it shipped to them and getting it back out was excellent, however, the quality I was not impressed with.
I know thatthey have a great reputation, and I know that there are thousands of shooters out there that have never had an issue with them, so take this for whatever it is worth to you. I think their product wuality has been sliping for several years now.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you choose, keep in mind your usage. If your shots are going to be inside 100 as you have listed, you don't need a 14x scope. Nay do you need a 50mm objective.

If you like the Leupold's, look at a VX-III 2-8x36. The Zeiss, I'd opt for a 3-9x40 or 44.

If you aren't againest spending a bit more money, here is what I would do, given your situation. I'd pick up a Schmidt and Bender in 6x42. Fixed power scopes are always brighter than variable scopes. Fewer pieces of glass for the light to pass through. S&B scopes are some of the best made in the world (in fact I think they are the best). Certainly have among the best lens coatings. A close second would be the Diavari line from Zeiss, their T* coatings produce some very very clear optics.

No matter what though, I'd stick with a scope you can mount fairly close to the barrel, that way you won't be 2" high at 50 yards to be dead on at 100. Good to be near the same weather its at 25 or 125, and you can get that done with a low mounted scope.

Also, word of advice from another TC owner..... one piece Talley ring/base is definately worth the money!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'm on my own on this one but my "Opinion" is Leaupold glass isn't all that great and over priced for what you get. Ziess on the other hand is extremely good. If those were your only choices I would go with the Ziess hands down.

Tom
Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at the Meopta fixed power scope. Great glass for the money. The one inch Swarovski A-line is also a great choice. That is what my Encore 30-06 wears. It is a 3-10X scope. No problem with shots up to 300 yards. IMO 30-06 is point blank to that distance with a 165 grain pill. The Zeiss Conquest is also a great scope. I like them better than the VariXIII-but I will admit that they are close. Check out the "SWFA Sample List" web site, they have alot of used, refurbed, and factory sample Conquest's for sale. Tom.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 AM

burris fullfield II, the best scope for the $.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

DD - I was out this evening scouting deer an messing around shooting jackrabbits. I honestly don't think there is a $100 difference between my Leupold VXII 3-9x40 and my new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. I'm half tempted to see if I can return the Zeiss to my local shot and exchange it for a VXII 4-12x40. Then swap my 3-9 off my 7mag and put the 4-12 on that and the 3-9 on my TC.

I'm not the only one that has formed this opinion, one of my buddies was with me and we were both looking and came to that conclusion.

Quick Reply: Which Scope for TC Pro hunter 30/06

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.