Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Old 07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alright guys, it's time for honesty

JamesB makes a good point. Dead is dead. Whether you punch a deer thru the vitals with a 7mm-08 or a 7mm Rem Mag. What he is saying is it isn't necessary for the "magnumsized" rifles that all the magazines and writers push.

The only critter in North America that require a magnum (and they don't even require one) are the big bears.

As for the initial question, I can shoot my magnums to benchrest accuracy no problem. I started with a 30-06 when I was 11 years old, and I became very proficient with that gun (which kicks more than my 7mag does in my opinion.)
Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Killing power? The power to kill something? Does a 300 Win Mag kill a deer deader than a 30-06? In that case should we all use the 50 BMG because it should ,by your standard kill better than a 338 Magnum. If the ballistics are far superior does this mean that enough can never be enough and we should always strive for more and more power? Should we double the performance of the 300 RUM? That would make it twice as good? We will soon have hunting guns that can not be shoulder fired? I wonder if all the game killed with the 270, 300 Savage, 30-30 and 257 Roberts will come back to life and kick H*#* out of my freezer.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
DM

Killing power? The power to kill something? Does a 300 Win Mag kill a deer deader than a 30-06?
Sooooo, i guess my 240 Wby. Magnum is a whoooooole lot better than "your" 30-06!!! And, how about that .224 Wby. Magnum????

DM
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 AM

The biggest gun I have is a 300 win mag. In all honesty I suck with anything bigger than that. I've shot a smith and wesson 500. Thats a frickin huge hand gun and i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn from 10 yards with it
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Killing power? The power to kill something? Does a 300 Win Mag kill a deer deader than a 30-06? In that case should we all use the 50 BMG because it should ,by your standard kill better than a 338 Magnum. If the ballistics are far superior does this mean that enough can never be enough and we should always strive for more and more power? Should we double the performance of the 300 RUM? That would make it twice as good? We will soon have hunting guns that can not be shoulder fired? I wonder if all the game killed with the 270, 300 Savage, 30-30 and 257 Roberts will come back to life and kick H*#* out of my freezer.
With this kind of reasoning cops should still carry 32 police specials, but thy don't, they carry glock 40's and 45's. I can only pull 65lbs on my bow, but I'm working hard to reach 70 because I know my bow will perform better at the higher poundage. Yea, I know 65 will still kill 'em dead, and dead is dead, but I still want the higher poundage. I shoot a magnum because I suck at tracking because I'm color blind, and becauseI just want to.

I don't understand why some people shoot both or some shoot either one and could care less what other folks are shooting. And then there's the people that just have to chime in everytime they get a chance and say how unnecessary magnums are. To each his own, shoot what you shoot best.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

Will you please your yourlogicas your basis for the answer to the question I am going to ask.

If there is no difference in performance between calibers why do states have MINIMUM size requirements for big game?

Again using your logic a .22 Mag is equal to a .300 Win Mag in performance to kill an elk correct?

After all dead is dead.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have stated again and again that if you need a magnum, use it. I also would never promote to little a gun for the job leaving a wounded animal. Of course there are minimum calibers listed in most states and I would never suggest that someone not obey the game laws. There are reasonable stats using FT LBS of ME and such for certain animals. Those stats are met by many rifle, some magnum and some not. I had Manumits as bad as anyone, However I got over it. I now enjoy shooting much more and don't wound animals by using mostly standard calibers. I believe the issue here was honesty. I gave my opinion which is just as good as anyone Else's.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
DM

All i can tell you all is, i've hunted much of Canada, all of Alaska plus several of the lower 48 states. I've probably harvested more big game than many of you combined and i'm talking several brown bear, and moose on down.... I just don't need a big magnum to do it.... peroid!

I believe in stalking the animial to get close enough so i'm NOT shooting into the next county, and i also believe in picking the proper weight and construction of bullet for the intended job... I believe you just don't need a big magnum if you do that... At least i haven't!

I've dropped moose with my S&W 44 mag....sowhy wouldn't i beable to do the same thing with a properly loaded 30-06???

James is right, most folks just don't need a magnum, but of course if you want one, and can shoot one, go for it!

DM
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could shoot them when the shoulder was young and strong but I didn't need them then either. I just thought I did. The only thing I would hesityate to hunt with the 270- 7mm-08 is Grizzly and thet have been taken with those calibers as well. I like the 45-70 for really big critters. I can still shoot the Magnum rifles sparingly but there is no joy in it, just pain.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Just about time for deer season...

Quick Reply: Alright guys, it's time for honesty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.