Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AK 47??????????

Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 AM

Default RE: AK 47??????????

I tried it with opend sights as well, and the scope mount was very solid, with a varified good scope. My point of impact wasn't shifting, it just wouldn't group. I am being conservative on the 6 inch groups at 50 yards thing, it was actually a bit worse in most cases. That was the best group I could get out of it, not the average.

It was a side mount clamp on version, the one designed for that gun. Not some B-Sqaure aftermarket reciever thing.

I used to have an SKS that was much better.

Paul
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM

That does sound bad, I don't blame you for getting rid of it.[:'(]
Old 07-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo the same sentiments as some have already said. The AK-47 is the best rifle that you'll ever own if all you want to do is plink and not worry about tack-driving accuracy. The ammo is cheap and therein lies the problem with accuracy: cheap ammo isn't going to give you sub-MOA groups. It isn't worth it to reload for the AK either.

Having said that, the most accurate AK-47 will still pale in comparisonagainst the "average" AR-15. The AR-15 is just more inherently accurate because of the way it's built.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Comparing the AK to the AR is rediculous. The only comparison is that they are military style weapons. The AK is a very crude weapon designed to go bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of conditions. Its simplicity is what makes it the worlds most popular weapon. It can be manufactured for an extremely low price by individuals with very little talent and still be extremely reliable. The gun is not designed to shoot groups, it is designed to shoot people.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I shot a M16 in the army and loved it. Recently I havepurchased a AR15 and I love it. Now I have a chance to acquirea AK47 for what seems like a steal of a deal. I just wanted to hear some peoples thoughts on the AK47 because I know very little about them. Truth be known,I don't know chit!
They are both "assault rifles". That is where the similarity ends. The AK is heavy, crude, very reliable, and has mediocre accuracy. It is really best at short (under 300 meters) ranges, and its' primary usefulness is its' ability to put a lot of rounds downrange to keep the enemy's heads down. It is not nearly as good at engaging point targets as the M16. But I like the 7.62X39mm round better. That's just a personal opinion, not because it is a better round than the 5.56mm. I have never shot the AK-74, which uses the .22 cal. Russian round.

If what you are mainly interested in is going to a range and burning up alot of ammo in a short time, then get one!

I personally subscribe to the aimed fire school of thought, rather than the "spray and pray" theory. I therefore prefer a Ruger No. 1 single-shot, or a good, accurate bolt-action with which I can put a single bullet on target at ranges up to 1000 meters. (Paper targets, NOT game animals!!) I also prefer a rifle that makes it easy to find the fired cases, so I can refill them!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wayspr

Comparing the AK to the AR is rediculous. The only comparison is that they are military style weapons. The AK is a very crude weapon designed to go bang every time you pull the trigger regardless of conditions. Its simplicity is what makes it the worlds most popular weapon. It can be manufactured for an extremely low price by individuals with very little talent and still be extremely reliable. The gun is not designed to shoot groups, it is designed to shoot people.
I'm pretty sure that I didn't compare the AK-47 to the AR-15. I knowthat I did say that the AK-47's accuracy pales in comparison to the AR-15's.

If I were going into combat though, I'd want an AK-47. As you stated, it'll go bang every time you pull the trigger. AR-15's on the other hand, won't.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

"If I were going into combat though, I'd want an AK-47. As you stated, it'll go bang every time you pull the trigger. AR-15's on the other hand, won't. "

This would very much depend on where I was going to be fighting, and the type of terrain, etc., the battles would be in most often. If there was a need for engaging targets much beyond 300 meters, and there was a lot of open country, such as in Afghanistan, I would want an M14 or M1A. If there was a lot of brush and close-in engagements, like a jungle, I'd take some kind of assault rifle. The 7.62X39mm is better in trees and brush than the 5.56mm, but NOT MUCH! In such places, a high-capacity 12-ga shotgun is excellent, as is a .45 caliber submachine gun, such as the M3A1 grease gun or even a Thompson.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see your point. But most of the time we don't get to choose where we'll be fighting. The hills of Afghanistan are perfect for an M14 but what happens when it's time to go clear a room that might have a bad guy in it. You don't want to be swinging that M14 around all day clearing rooms. The Ak47 is great for that. But the AK74 is even better.

the "Chicago Typewritter" is about the best room clearing weapon that has ever been. That'll make hamburger meat out of someone.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Off topic but the m14/m1a1 are made in carbine models now. The scout squad with an 18" barrel and the socomII with 16" barrel and cluster rails for all your lights and other stuff you snap on to it. Anyway I own an arsenal ak with the milled receiver and it is a serious upgrade from any cheap ak like the romanian or maadiswhen it comes to accuracy. I didnt care for the m16a2s when I was in because they were bought from the cheapest dealer and came through with all kinds of problems including bent barrels. (great for shooting around corners I guess) If you got a good one they werent to bad. My brother just got back from afganistan and he really liked his so who knows maybe the problems have been fixed. I really like the barret version though chambered in the 6.8 rem.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Well I have both an AR (m4 profile) and two AK's, one I bought, one I built. all are semi auto civi versions. I definately prefer the AR, as it is more accurate, nicer to shoot, and setup better (position of safety and things of that nature)

The AK's are good guns. THey are not the worlds most accurate, but they get the job done. I get about 3" groupins at 50yrds. I am sure I could hit a man sized target at 300 if I wanted to. But, as far as how they were designed, everything in the AK has pretty loose tolerences which decreases your accuracy, but increases your reliability in an auto platform I would say.

So if you have an AR, you probably do not need the AK, but if you have the money why not get one...they are still a blast to shoot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.