Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ammo for 44 Mag. Rifle

Old 12-30-2002, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ammo for 44 Mag. Rifle

I own a lever action Winchester model 94 44 magnum rifle and I am looking for ammo. I am hunting whitetails 50 to 100 yards. Federal makes a 300 grain solid bullet for hunting, but I personally believe that this bullet weight is to heavy for the caliber. I believe a 240 grain is right but every manufacturer makes hollow points. I have shot 240 grain federal premiums at the range and they seem to be good shooters from the gun. Are hollow points good for deer? Any opinions on bullet weight or choices?
I am looking for factory ammo because I don't reload.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo for 44 Mag. Rifle

I don't believe anyone makes a 44 mag round just for rifles. all i have ever seen is pistol ammo . the hollow points will work on deer . Barnes makes a couple bullets in .429 but you don't reload so thats no help .
Old 12-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

for deer to 100 yards with the .44 mag, any bullet that is an expanding type.....hollow point, soft point, etc will do the job nicely.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2002, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Otis, did it knock the deer down? How far did the deer run? I am also wondering what would happen if you it major bones (Front Leg). I am wondering if the bullet will go through it. A hollow point may expand to fast to penetrate deep enough to kill the deer immediately.
Any comments?
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-31-2002, 02:06 PM

The .44 Mag is a great deer killer. I have seen and heard results on both end of the spectrum when hollow point bullets here used. These experiences range from pistols, to rifles, to muzzleloaders, some with full penetration and some with only flesh wounds. I personally have never had a HP exit a deer, even the smallest doe, when shot from any of these weapons. Theoretically, the HP points are made for pistols and designed to expand at those velocities delivered by a pistol. Many will say that the velocity delivered from a muzzleloader and/or rifle barrel will result in premature expansion of a HP. With that said I have seen premature expansion from my max hand loads from my .44 pistol. I continue to load heavy HP's for my pistol as I think that the velocities are borderline and the added mass seams to help. In my Marlin 1894 .45LC, Marlin 1895 .45-70 and my muzzleloader I have switched to either a Partition or a Barnes X bullet. These bullets are designed to expand at low velocities yet retain a "un-deformed" base which will almost certainly deliver full penetration. These bullets are pretty pricey but their performance is worth it. Cast Lead is also an option but make sure you are aware of the hardness. Too soft and your results will not differ from a HP. Too hard and all you will do is punch holes, I've made this mistake and it is not pretty.

Toby
Old 01-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Otis, I believe you but I am shock. I would never have believed that you can shoot a deer with a 44 Mag. at 50 yards and not drop him (Even with a bullet proof vest). I have never shot a deer with my rifle. The Federal 240 Grain bullets that I shoot (according to the chart) have a speed of 1,380 ft/s at 100 yards and 1,015 ft/lbs at 100 yards. They do not rate them at 50 yards but they have to be significantly higher. I would believe that this should be adequate to kill deer within that range. I can't believe a muzzleloader creates more energy or speed than a 44 Mag.
I hope someone else responds with other shooting experiences.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Spike

Hello,
I have killed at least 20 deer with my Marlin 44. Have not lost one but I keep my range to 100 yards or less, Ive tried 240 Grn hollow points and they expanded to quick, most did not leave an exit hole. I started shooting 180 grn flat nose bullets and never have that problem any more. They go thru with plenty of knockdown power.
Deano

Quick Reply: Ammo for 44 Mag. Rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.