Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

need adive on a bolt action

Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Default RE: need adive on a bolt action

I like the Rem 700
Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you I would do a bunch of shopping. Handle as many rifles as you can find. You should buy a rifle that feels right-I know that is subjective, but you will know it when you "FEEL IT". Rifle's are also a thing of beauty. People may laugh at this, but buy something you are proud of. Your cartridge choice is a good one. Tom.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Fork Horn

I will get a tikka some day, but only when im looking for a standard caliber. I dont like how you can only get a long action. If I was looking for a 308 it would probably be in a short action rifle.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM
Typical Buck

Take a look at the tikka varmit ssin 308 it doesn't weigh much more than the t-3 reg 308.And it shoots.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trailer I am a bodybuilder!!!!!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I know. I was just having a little fun. Hope you didn’t take it the wrong way...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of folks have plenty of great stuff to say about all three. And really, no matter which way you go I think you'll be happy.

It really comes down to you. You need to handle each one and see what feels best in your hands. Personally, I was really drawn to Tikkas until I shouldered one. I thought it was very uncomfortable. But, I'm not built like everyone else. What feels good on me, you might dispise. You are the only one shooting it, so ultimately what matters to you is whats most important.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I didnt take it that way brother!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

You can't go wrong with a Savage. In the price range you qouted you might look at http://www.savagearms.com/12fvss.htm or http://www.savagearms.com/12fv.htm or http://www.savagearms.com/12bvss.htm

My neighbor and hunting buddy got the 12BVSS in .308 Win. 4 years ago and put a 4.5-14 Nikon Monarch on it. That thiing has been consistantly shooting in the .5" range since day one, with Federal Gold Match 168gr Sierra HPBTM ammo. It has not had anything done to it all, strictly as is out of the box. It shoots so consistantly good, that he won't even let me bed it or reload for it, LOL!

I just got a Savage 12FV in .223 Rem., about 2 months ago and so far it is a shooter. I replaced the factory synthetic stock with a B&C Duramxx, bedded it,and put a Nikon 6-18 SF Buckmaster on it. First trip to the range with test loads, got it shooting under .5" with several test laods. Second trip to the range produce groups in the .3" range, with a couple loads. Third trip to the range with the load I decided on,produced loads again in .250"-.325" range. My wife loves toshootit as well and she can shoot consistantgroups well 1" with it.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Spike

It may not be too heavy for Missouri or Minnesota, but a 10 LB+ gun would get dang heavy after a day of hiking@ 10,000 ft with a back pack...

I picked up a used Tikka T3 lite, which seems to be a decent gun for under $500 (I paid about $400).

Quick Reply: need adive on a bolt action

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.