Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How do you sight in?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you sight in?

A new gun or new scope installation I get it on the x at 25 yds. This usually takes me1 to 4shots so I am comfortable it will be on paper at 100. I do 3 shot groups at 100 and allow my barrel to cool down while I am adjusting. With 1/4" per click it is usually pretty easy to find an acceptable performance on a rest. On the average if I am just sighting in before the season I shoot from 3 to 6 times to get my gun shooting good. I have 4 guns I usually sight in just before the season so I get plenty of shooting between the 2 rifles I use, the shotgun with slugs and the ML.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take three shots,then let the barrel cool.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 700xcr

I think they was talking that they was letting the barrel cool between shots. I was tought that way. They are still shooting a group of shots.
Thats how I roll.

I always bring a few other guns with me to the range, or a book or something like that to pass some time in between shots. It can take quite a while, but to me it is well worth the time. I have so much money and effort in my hunting and equipment that I can stand to spend 5 hours to shoot 10 bullets. Just do what you can to keep things the same EVERYTIME!

I had a nice conversation with a Marine Sniper instructor the other day. The one thing I noticed as we talked about shooting, hunting and bows and what not, was that he was VERY keen on consistancy. Doing everything exactly the same every single time. Almost to the point that its crazy. He was talking about how all of his team guys dip the Bandits in little packages because its the EXACT same amount of tobacco each time. And that they always take the exact same number of breaths, count their heartbeats.... its nuts. But if this guy can shoot a rifle like he can shoot a bow....then I wouldn't want to be in his way!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think they was talking that they was letting the barrel cool between shots. I was tought that way. They are still shooting a group of shots.
Except that is not what usually happens in the field when hunting.I want to know where my guns shoot with a cold barrel,and for a quick second and third shot if necessary.Letting the barrel cool between shots will not expose shot stringing due to bedding or other factors.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:22 PM

If a sniper wants to give you advice on shooting technique I would take it to the grave with you regardless of how "crazy" it sounds.

These guys shoot at people for a living under high stress conditions. They do things the way they do them for a reason. One mistake can cost you and possibly others lives.

I have had the chance to go shoot with a trained sniper a couple of times. My roommate in the Air Force had a cousin that was one and he came to visit now and then. Not much fun to shoot with, but he was impressive. I don't care what weapon you gave him he could hit with it.

Paul
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to shoot my guns when it's nice and cold outside... Kinda like when deer hunting
Old 07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like my hunting rifles to shoot a good three shot group at the rate of fire I would expect in the field. If I take my rifle out three times clean and shoot a three shot group thats around one inch, I am happy and that rifle is ready. That would be at a range of 100 yards as my shots very seldom exceed 225 yards. I like to be about an inch-1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards with my 270.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I am pretty lucky because I can go to the range in the middle of the week, early afternoon. Usually I have the 100 yd range just for myself. I shoot a group of 3, go down range, check my target, and go back to shoot walking fast. That gets the heart running a bit faster and simulate shooting when hunting.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

I wait about a minute in between shots. After 3 shots I go take a look. I figure thats alot of time to cool off. If I'm shooting alot, I set up my dueling tree at about 40 yards and shoot it with my .22 while im letting it cool.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You need to shoot one shot, aim the gun at the original target and move the sight (scope) to where the bullet hit. The key is keeping the gun still untill the sight is moved to where the target was hit. You should be very close with one shot fired.

Quick Reply: How do you sight in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.