Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Range Report

Old 07-13-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Range Report

I have been trying to get to the range for a few weeks now, and today I finally made it. Shot a bunch of new stuff with mixed results.

First, I shot the Rossi single in 7.62X39. I made the mistake of using Wolf ammo. Not only was it all over the place, it made the inside of the barrel look like I was using black powder. I have used Wolf in AK's before, and as long as it went bang I was fine with it, but today about 1/3 of the rounds took more than one trigger squeeze to fire. One of them I dropped the hammer on 6 times before giving up and tossing it.

Second I shot the AK/Saiga in .223. The Silver Bear 62gr. HP produced a 3" groups and the Core-Loct 55gr SP produced a few 1.5" groups and one group I could cover with my thumb. Big difference in performance with the Remington ammo.

Third was the .30-06 using the Managed recoil ammo prescribed by my doc. It does make a big difference in felt recoil, but the groups started to widen out past 150. I thought it might be shooter error so I switched to my .22 for some fun. I don't think I'm going to stick with this ammo, probably get a 7mm-08 for next year.

Last was the .22. It is a bolt-action Romanian training rifle I got for $40 about 2 years ago. It has a hooded front sight and flip-up rear sights for 25, 50, and 75. I shot a box of 40 at 50 yards. Here's my 40-shot group, it was pretty tight except for a couple of "flyers."

Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Range Report

With "good" ammo is the 7.62x39 a shooter ? is the rossi 308 or 310? curious about the managed 06' to you just didn't like it or gun didn't like it? Not bad for "bad " ammo ,was that 100 yrd target.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:34 PM

Default RE: Range Report

The Rossi is chambered in 7.62X39. I got it because it can share AK ammo, and the light recoil will make it a good first rifle for my son when he is bigger. I think a kid should learn on a single shot so they concentrate better on the shot they are making. Oh yeah, it was on sale too.

I didn't like the managed recoil ammo because my groups started falling apart out past 150. The rifle I am using is a Rem 760 that is older than me. I have been shooting it for a long time and I know it can do better. I know I'll never get a hunting shot that long, but when I go to the range I like to stretch out to 300 just because it's fun. I'll hunt with it this year, but probably wind up with a 7mm-08 for next year.

The pic is of a 50 yard group with my .22.