Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question re: T/C Encore or Contender Pistol

Old 07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question re: T/C Encore or Contender Pistol

I'm thinking about getting one of these and have a few questions:

Which model do you prefer, and why?

If I just buy a frame, and buy a barrel later, are all of the barrels compatible? (i.e. encore frame and encore barrel)

Can you shoot off the shelf ammo well, or do you find you need to use custom reloads?

And vs. Traditional pistols... Is it pretty much trading the range with a traditional pistol vs. Rifle Cartridge.... or is there any other pros or cons, I should consider?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question re: T/C Encore or Contender Pistol

Re: Encore v. Contender

The Encore is kind of the wave of the future. The action is more reinforced (stronger). And as of late, vastly more popular. Contenders are starting to slowly disappear from the new offerings from TC. That said, Contenders have been around along time. Lots and lots and lots of various barrels floating around for them. Pretty simple to pick up on the cheap. If I was buying new, I'd definately buy an Encore.

Re: Frames

And Encore is and encore. Doesn't matter what color, what kind of stock or barrel is attached. The Prohunter is the same as the plane jane blued frame, just stainless with a little different engraving and a swinging hammer spur. You can take any frame and make it a pistol, a rifle, a shotgun, whatever. You can attach ANY ENCORE barrel to it (the Contenders and Encores are NOT interchangeable however). Just make sure you do not put a pistol barrel on a frame that has a rifle/shotgun stock, as its a violation of federal law (the recoil pad even tells you as much).

Re: Ammo

Just like anything else, it varies greatly. My Encore in 7-08 hates factory ammo. At first it wouldnt' shoot under 2". I put an oversized hinge pin, and that got it down to around 1.25". My handloads got it under 1" and now I have it down to around .5" where it belongs. It took a little bit of tinkering, and since I reload, it wasn't that big a deal anyway. Its great for those of us that like oddball stuff, because we can get rifles in any odd wildcat we desire for around $400 brand new, custom made. Can't beat that with a stick! Scopeing said barrels does get right expensive.

I don't quite understand your last question about trading range with a traditional pistol? Are you wondering if your range with a rifle cartiridge will be limited by a short barrel. Yes, somewhat. Will your range increase with a longer barrel (15") with a pistol load compared to a shorter conventional revolver... of course. Not sure if thats what you are asking though?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question re: T/C Encore or Contender Pistol

Swampcollie-you beat me to it and I cannot improve on your post as usual.

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Re: Encore v. Contender

The Encore is kind of the wave of the future. The action is more reinforced (stronger). And as of late, vastly more popular. Contenders are starting to slowly disappear from the new offerings from TC. That said, Contenders have been around along time. Lots and lots and lots of various barrels floating around for them. Pretty simple to pick up on the cheap. If I was buying new, I'd definately buy an Encore.

Re: Frames

And Encore is and encore. Doesn't matter what color, what kind of stock or barrel is attached. The Prohunter is the same as the plane jane blued frame, just stainless with a little different engraving and a swinging hammer spur. You can take any frame and make it a pistol, a rifle, a shotgun, whatever. You can attach ANY ENCORE barrel to it (the Contenders and Encores are NOT interchangeable however). Just make sure you do not put a pistol barrel on a frame that has a rifle/shotgun stock, as its a violation of federal law (the recoil pad even tells you as much).

Re: Ammo

Just like anything else, it varies greatly. My Encore in 7-08 hates factory ammo. At first it wouldnt' shoot under 2". I put an oversized hinge pin, and that got it down to around 1.25". My handloads got it under 1" and now I have it down to around .5" where it belongs. It took a little bit of tinkering, and since I reload, it wasn't that big a deal anyway. Its great for those of us that like oddball stuff, because we can get rifles in any odd wildcat we desire for around $400 brand new, custom made. Can't beat that with a stick! Scopeing said barrels does get right expensive.

I don't quite understand your last question about trading range with a traditional pistol? Are you wondering if your range with a rifle cartiridge will be limited by a short barrel. Yes, somewhat. Will your range increase with a longer barrel (15") with a pistol load compared to a shorter conventional revolver... of course. Not sure if thats what you are asking though?