Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nosler bullet question??????

Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nosler bullet question??????

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The reports of failures seem to be much more common with certain bullet weights and calibers.There seem to be far more reports of failures with the 130gr .277" ballistic tip than with any ballistic tip that I am aware of.On the other hand,the 180gr .308" ballistic tip is quite tough by comparison.Unknown to many people,Nosler has modified several ballistic tips over the years,thickening the jackets and making them tougher each time.There are as many as four versions of some particular calibers and weights.As a result,many of the new versions behave entirely different than the older versions.
Very true stubble. In fact, everything from the .25 cals in the heavier weights(115s +)and up are reinforced much more than the others.

I think one of the reasons you see problems with the .270s, 130gr is because SO many people shoot them. Just like popular cars, you might only have 20 Toyotas break down, but there are 1000 in town. You might have 10 Kias break down, but when there are only 20 in town...its a big difference. With the .270 being so popular, its prone to have more issues, because more people are using them. In proption, its probably not any more than normal.

The 130gr can only have so thick of a jacket, because its fairly skinny, and with not a whole lot of lead inside it, since its light and going pretty fast, its easy to see why it would be a prime canadate.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok guys the scoop on ballistic tips
When nosler first introduced them they were just a thin skinned hollow point with a ballistic tip on it, packaged in 100 per box, the 270's, 284's and 30's were very tender and had a tendancy to splash.
about 12 years or so ago nosler changed some of them, the heavier for caliber bullets that were intended to be used on big game animals were changed to the exact makeup of the nosler solid base boat tails, the NSB's were then discontinued, they were also packaged differently, game bullets are now 50 per box and varmint bullets are either 100 or 250 per box. So your modern ballistic tips are in fact a nosler solid base boatail with a plastic tip.
RR
I remember those early 30 cal bullets. And "splash" is a pretty good word for it. I head shot a doe with one of them... hit her right between the eyes as she stood still looking in my direction. Results were not exactly pretty, but very effective....
Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think one of the reasons you see problems with the .270s, 130gr is because SO many people shoot them.
Actually where I hunt,there are far more people using the 140gr 7mm and the 150gr .308" ballistic tips,yet there seems to be far fewer cases of failures than with the 130gr .277" ballistic tip.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a big Elk last fall with Winchester Supreme Accubond 180 gr .300 WM. The slug went through the shoulder (broke the upper leg bone in two), then it took out both lungs. The Elk lurched and went between 25-30 yard, rolled over and never moved again in 30 seconds.

I'd say it did every bit of what I expected from it.

Sometimes you get someone looking at the slug and finding a pettle or two of the front tip pulledoff, even though the rest of the slug is intake. They may say the bullet "failed". I'd ask them if they got the big game animal, "at what point between when the bullet entered the animal and it took it's last breath did the bullet 'fail'?"

If thebullet is properly shot and ittakes the animal down dead, it's worked as designed imo.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure it's a "failure" when a ballistic tip style bullet, (nosler or other) explodes violently on impact. especially if it hits something hard while it's moving at high speed. the basic design is a hollow point with a areodynamic insert to aid flight and increase expansion rate. And yes i know there is a lot of engineering involved with jacket dimensions and chemical bonding of materials, but it is still a hollowpoint designed for rapid expansion on impact.

I shoot lots of nosler 100 gr bt's out a 25-06:Why? because they're cheap. But they also fly (out of my gun) the same as 100gr partition bullets. Throughout the summer I shoot a few hundred rounds of bt's at varmints and paper so I'm real comfortable shooting at deer. But when November 15 rolls around you better believe the 'ol browning is loaded up with 100gr. Partition bullets. Why? because when it comes down to the nut cuttin, I want a bullet that is built to stay together. And IMO the partition bullet does that better than the ballistic tip.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Spike

Ive used b-tips for almost 20 years now, and have nothing but good things to say about them. they shoot flat and hit hard! ive shot deer, black bear,antelope, caribouand all kinds of varmints with them, ive shot them out of everything from a 22-250, 243, 240 wby, 270,280, 7stw, 06, 300 win ultra and wby mags, 8 magand 340 wby mag. the early b-tips were really thin jackets, but nosler has since thickened the jackets on their big game tips. if you want really good balistics try the berger vlds, they are an awsome shooting and killing bullet.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, Ballistic tips are all I shoot (other than Barnes Triple Shock, of course). I have never shot a regular Nosler Ballistic Tip, but I have their Accubonds. I shot my first deer with the accubonds, and I am VERY impressed. Hardly any drop at all at about 175 yds, and excellent expansion. That poor deer hardly made it 15 yds. While shooting ballistics gel, I could see that they expanded twice its diameter all around. When I decided to try Barnes, thats when I made the switch. Every deer that I have shot with Barnes have dropped where they stood. The only thing is, they are expensive... so I only use them for deer. Oh, and one more thing. I had this weird guy tellin me, "I would never use a billistic tip on anything from less than 150 yds. That's just stupid." What do you think?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Oh, and one more thing. I had this weird guy tellin me, "I would never use a billistic tip on anything from less than 150 yds. That's just stupid." What do you think?
Opinions are like elbows, everybodies got a couple of them.

He probably had a bad experience with them. Bows, guns, bullets, trucks, redheaded women.... all the same. If you have good luck with one, you'll usually stand by it forever. If one gives you trouble early on, you'll swear it off for life.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:07 PM

I had a deer shot in the high shoulder at 265 yards and a bear shot behind the shoulder at 40 yards that the bullet exploded on impact and left a hole about the size of softball on the entrance side. Both animals dropped in their tracks. I have shot four other deer in the past two years with the same bullets at ranges from 30 to 120 yards and all went down with one shot. This is using a 165 grain remington accu-tip out of my 30-06. While they have done the job, I am switching to bonded bullets because of what I'm afraid would happen if I hit the shoulder bone directly. Accuracy has been outstanding.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is using a 165 grain remington accu-tip out of my 30-06.
The thread was posted in reference to the Nosler ballistic tip.The remington accutip has a synthetic tip,but it is not the Nosler ballistic tip.It appears to be the hornady sst.

Quick Reply: Nosler bullet question??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.