Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best elk rifle

Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best elk rifle

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

"But you can kill them with just about anything if you can put it in the right place."

This reminds me of the story Jack O'Connor used to tell about once on a sheep hunt in Yukon Territory when he and his party were being guided by some local Native American guides. When the inevitable debate started about which gun was best for whatever, he asked his guide. Guide said "Any gun good, shoot'um good!"

I believe this still applies! There is NO "BEST caliber"for anything, including elk hunting! I personally would not take a .243 or 6mm Rem. out elk hunting! But my daughter-in-law has used her .243 for elk for about 20 years, and none of her elk have yet had to be shot more than once.

I love that guide quote....lol...
Old 07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-06 and mostly because it's available in light weight rifles that make it a bit easier for mountain hunters.

One could also use a 338-06 but that requires a larger contour barrel and increased weight.

I think weight of the rifle is important to the hunteras it allows an easier time to stalk at low oxygen levels.....ever been there?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have harvested elk & moosewith .277&up without a hitch the reality is start with a solid constructed bullet and put it where it counts you'll collect your animal.TheCal/Cartridge I currently use (also has accounted for the most of each species):.284 - 7mm rem mag.

That said if I had to pickoneelk/moose cartridge it would be the .338wm, seems to me to be tailor made for the larger game in NA.