Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzleloader recoil

Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Default muzzleloader recoil

I am planning on getting a muzzleloaderbut I have never shot one. I plan on shooting 100 grains of powder with a 250gr sabot. I was just wondering what you would compare the recoil to. I've heard that it is like a 3" 12ga shell but I am not sure. Any input will be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader recoil

Muzzleloader recoil is more like a push than something punching your shoulder. I wouldn't put it anywhere near a 3" 12 ga. The powder burns differently than smokeless shotgun or rifle powder.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a cva 50 cal last year. I was amazed at the lack of recoil. I would say not even half as much as my 12 gauge.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't plan on shooting a certain grain of powder and size of bullet untill you get your gun. Each ML excells with an amount that of powder and bullet size for that specific gun. If you have ever reloaded you will know what I mean. 5 grains of powder one way or another could make a real difference. As for recoil, it is more like a shot gun than a high power rifle. Check out the ML forum. You can learn a lot before you will make your purchase.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I would get the TC Pro Hunter. The only thing is, it cost over 800 dollars. But it has the easiest and most advanced system i've seen. If recoil is such a big factor, it also has a stock system that reduces 48% of felt recoil. If you're on a tighter budget, go with the TC Omega. And buddy, I believe that 100 grains of powder is not enough for a 250 grain sabot.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The TC Omega is a really nice muzzloader. I like it better than my Knight Master Hunter. Much better.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

If I were you, I would get the TC Pro Hunter. The only thing is, it cost over 800 dollars. But it has the easiest and most advanced system i've seen. If recoil is such a big factor, it also has a stock system that reduces 48% of felt recoil. If you're on a tighter budget, go with the TC Omega. And buddy, I believe that 100 grains of powder is not enough for a 250 grain sabot.
I shoot mine with 90 grains "black mag" powder behind a 250 grain sst , works great .

There is a black powder forum on this board , you might get more responces there .
Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntin4life

I am planning on getting a muzzleloaderbut I have never shot one. I plan on shooting 100 grains of powder with a 250gr sabot. I was just wondering what you would compare the recoil to. I've heard that it is like a 3" 12ga shell but I am not sure. Any input will be appreciated.
A 250-grain bullet with 100 grains of BP or equivalent has just overhalf the recoil of a 12-ga 3" shell, if both are fired from guns weighing the same.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

90 grains of Pyro behind a 300 Hornady XTP and 85 grains of Pyro behind a 240 Hornady XTP have proved lethal in the one I shoot the most.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

I'm new to muzzleloading but have found my CVAgroups well with 100gr Pyrodex pellets and a 250gr Knight Red Hot with Crushed Rib Sabots. Believe me.......100gr and a 250gr bullet is enough. There are guys using less powder and have success. Do yourself a favor and check out the Blackpowder forum.

Quick Reply: muzzleloader recoil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.