Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzleloader recoil

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: muzzleloader recoil

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Not that a ML doesn't kick though, they can buck you pretty good and you need to keep that in mind when mounting your scope.
I'll never forget a couple years ago I got to deer camp late and everyone was gone. There was a big Mossberg 10gauge I'd never seen before laying on a bunk so I picked it up, cleared the action and shouldered it. First thought thought was how heavy it was. Second thought was Wow, not much eye relief on the scope. About an hour later the guys showed up and last man in the door had 6 brand new stitches over his right eye. It was his first shot with the gun and apparently he thought the weight would tame the recoil.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

My muzzleloader weighs 8 1/4 lbs, shoots a 385 grain bullet with 80 grains triple 7. Installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and there is no such thing as recoil anymore. 20 shots yesterday with it and i never felt any pain or uncomfortableness.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Really? I thought that since the Encore is a break-action, and the Omega isn't, the Encore would be easier.
Unless you have an E-Z extractor ($20)you'll have to take the whole gun apart on the Encore. And I don't see how a break action would be easier?The pivot breech action is as simple as any gun out there; just open the action and use your breech plug wrench to unscrew it. There is plenty of room for a breechbrush and the gun won't beswiveling whileyou'reusing it.Old school inlines, striker styles, have several parts to take out before you can access the breech plug. Those would be more complicated come cleaning time.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I have another question about this. I know the amount of powder can change recoil but will the bullet weight affect recoil?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

. Let me tell you, a muzzle loader with a light bullet (250 is light to me) and 100 grns of powder does not have the recoil of a 3 inch mag slug gun! Maybe if you are shooting one of those little Knight wolverines my buddy has, and then probably still not as bad.

My muzzle loader doesn't even kick as hard as my A-5 auto shooting 2 3/4 inch slugs. Like said, shotguns have a sharper recoil that just feels more harsh.

Not that a ML doesn't kick though, they can buck you pretty good and you need to keep that in mind when mounting your scope.

Paul
I totaly agree with this , my muzzle loaders dont kick near as much as a 3" mag 12 gauge load , and nowhere near a 3 1/2 [those are brutal]

Now when you stuff 150 grains of powder in there they become a diferant animal , I shoot 90 grains of black mag , which is equivilent to 105 grains of black powder . 150 grain loads in a black powder gun is overkill in my oppinion , I just dont enjoy shoot'n that combo .

I will note that I own 2 muzzle loaders , a knite disc extreme , and a t/c omega , the knite is much more accurate than the t/c , in my experience
Old 07-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Yes, bullet weight will affect recoil.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM

A heavier bullet in most cases will have more recoil, which is one of the reasons why some shotgun loads kick so hard. Most slugs are 1 ounce and turkey loads are closer to two ounces (almost 900 grns![]).

Most 50 cal muzzle loaders shoot between 250 and 350 grns.

The type of powder also makes a difference, some burns faster, some burns slower. Go from Pioneer (clean shot) to 777 and you will notice a difference in recoil, also a difference in speed. And going from ffg to fffg will do the same thing.

Like I said, I used to shoot 777 with fffg powder. It would slap you pretty good, but still nothing like a shogtun with a heavy slug. And no where near a turkey load. And the 3 1/2 inch mags are on a whole another level.

Paul
Old 07-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Projectile weight is a big factor in recoil , like Paul said .
The 3 1/2 inch turkey loads are the beasts I was refering to 2 ounce loads are equal to a 416 rigby in recoil .
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow... I don't know much about muzzeloading because I don't do it. But everytime I see someone loading one on TV they always use 150 grains of powder. Wouldn't using less powder get you less power and yardage?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Yes, in most cases, but it may get you better accuracy. What good does more range do you if the gun isn't accurate at that range?

Lets say using more powder increases your range by shooting the same weight bullet faster. Lets say you get an extra inch or so of flatness. The problem is now your gun may have went from 2 inch groups at 150 yards to 3 or 4 inch groups at 150 yards. This totally negates the 1 inch you gained in trajectory because now your bullet could actually strike the target 3 inches lower than it did when it was slower and more accurate.

And yes you may get more power, but lets be honest, how much power does it really take to push a 300 grn bullet through a deer at normal ranges. I have seen guys kill deer with traditional equipment shooting much less powder with much lighter round balls at ranges beyond 100 yards.

I have shot deer out to 150 yards with my ML at 1600 fps and 100 grns of powder or less, and foster type slugs even slower (not that far away though) and I have never had a bullet not blow right through a deer.

I feel knowing where your bullet is going hit is much more important.

A few years ago I was trying to increase my range and long distance accuracy. I figured I would go with a lighter bullet and more powder to really get it out there. Then someone here told me that the key was to have a more stable bullet at longer distances and to go with a heavier longer bullet possibly at a slower speed. Worked great, my gun is slower but it actually shoots a bit flatter, more accurate and hits harder than it would have with the lighter bullet.

Just my opinion though.

Paul

Quick Reply: muzzleloader recoil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.